Can I remove the rubber sheath of Canare Star Quad without affecting performance?
Feb 19, 2009 at 1:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Good Times

Member of the Trade: Krispy Kables
I used a quad cable similar to the Canare L4E6S for my 1.5m RCA interconnect.

I’m finding that with all that length, it’s rather heavy. Without being tied up, concerned it will pull quite hard on the jacks.

How would the same cable perform if I simply removed the rubber sheath, kept the metal braid on (or not?) and then wrapped with Techflex?

Feb 19, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #2 of 6
It will work fine and should not affect the performance at all. I do it frequently with similar cables when I do not need the shield. Otherwise, if you do need the shield you will have an awfully hard time feeding the cable through the techflex.

Feb 19, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #3 of 6
Im not sure that a bit of weight on the plugs will really matter unless something is REALLY wrong. unless the cable is hanging completely free its whole weight isnt on the plug... if its long enough that it actually weighs enough to damage the plugs you should rest it on something, or hang it as applicable anyways. A friend has a 20ft(ish) wire run from his preamp to his power amp (actually in basement, directly below the speakers, a very cool system). its quite the elaborate setup, but very elegant

Anyways, its going to be a PITA to remove the rubber layer, but it should not have any effect on performance.

edited:
you can tape the last inch or so of shield to get it through the techflex a little easier. knowing my luck it would come off in the middle though.

Feb 19, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks everyone, will give it a go anyway, the cable's cheap enough
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 19, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juaquin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The shield tends to pop apart as soon as it isn't being held by the rubber. If you want to remove everything but the wires, no problem, but keeping the shield intact will be very hard.

I have several cables with the bare shield, or the shield wrapped in techflex. You just gotta clamp it in the connector.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back