Can I remove the glass face of my Fiio E7?
May 3, 2011 at 4:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

scannon18

100+ Head-Fier
The plexiglass (right?) cover of my Fiio E7 is covered in scratches and small cracks.  I imagine that taking off the glass cover I would reveal an anondized aluminum case and a small display that I'll have to be careful not to damage? 

May 3, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #3 of 10
I don't mean to be condescending, but did you remove the packaging plastic film from the glass?

I remember not realizing mine was on and being annoyed with all the scratches. The thing is, that film is so seamlessly attached, you don't even notice it until you pick at a corner of the plexiglas.

May 3, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
I don't mean to be condescending, but did you remove the packaging plastic film from the glass?

I remember not realizing mine was on and being annoyed with all the scratches. The thing is, that film is so seamlessly attached, you don't even notice it until you pick at a corner of the plexiglas.

I don't think I have.  When I first got in in the mail I thought it has a plastic film on in, but when I tried to remove it, it seemed that I was warping and messing up the outer surface of the glass.  But I'll try this.

EDIT: yep, it worked.  That thing was invisible, and stuck on very well, and very thick.  But now the face of my E7 looks brand new, absolutely zero scratches.

May 3, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
Yeah, take it off for sure.  If you never took it off to begin with, it's still there.

Also, did yours come with a screen protector?  Mine did.

I don't remember, but I imagine that if it had a screen protector I'd've saved it.  In any case, the E7 will be free from scratches because it is no longer portable, it lives on top of the E9 now.

May 3, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #7 of 10
Hm, I think that some came with them and some didn't.  Anyway, great to hear that it's in perfect condition now, and that it'll hopefully stay that way for good.  I hate scratches on shiny things. :p -looks at my watch and shudders-

May 3, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #8 of 10
Since about November of 2010, E7's have had a plastic film covering the front that gives it a matte/dull look. This plastic film should be removed and, if desired, replaced with a screen protector that FiiO makes just for the E7.

The front cover is glued in place. If you remove it, you will see a circuit board and the OLED screen. There is no aluminum underneath. There is a way to remove it, but the process is not reversible as it will damage the cover.

I suggest that you try to see if there is a film on the front of your E7. Since it's scratched anyway, just pick at it a little harder - start at the corners. It's a thick layer of film. 

Jack

May 6, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
I thought mine was all scratched up until one day I peeled off the film to see a shiny new cover lookin back at me...yay.

Yes, I'm glad that the cover has taken seven months worth of abuse.  Now my E7 looks slick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back