Can I power headphones with my 2a3 amps?
Oct 7, 2009 at 8:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

cmathes

New Head-Fier
I am living in a temporary location and packed my audio system. This arrangement leaves me wondering if I can scratch my hifi itch with headphones, but use my 2a3 set monoblocks to drive them. Is there an adaptor that would connect to my speaker terminals on one end and a 1/4" headphone connection on the other? Am I looking in the wrong direction?

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Oct 7, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmathes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am living in a temporary location and packed my audio system. This arrangement leaves me wondering if I can scratch my hifi itch with headphones, but use my 2a3 set monoblocks to drive them. Is there an adaptor that would connect to my speaker terminals on one end and a 1/4" headphone connection on the other? Am I looking in the wrong direction?

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

First, happy to hear you own 2A3 amps.
beerchug.gif
Which amps are they? Do you know if they AC or DC heat the 2A3s?

Which headphones would you like to use with them?

You can make an adapter with some added resistors to create a voltage divider and provide appropriate power into your headphones.

Oct 7, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #3 of 6
I have Fi monoblocks, but I do not know if they are AC or DC heated.

As to the headphones, I do not have them yet. A close friend loaned me his Grado GS 1000i's and I am quite taken with them. I think I will stick with Grados but I am keeping my eyes open for the re-emergence of the HF2.

Thanks,

Chris

Oct 7, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #4 of 6
Looking at the underside of the Fi monoblock, it looks like they AC heat the 2A3.

hero_open.jpg

What this means is you might hear background residual hum through the headphones. Do you hear any hum/noise through your loudspeakers with your ear at the speaker? If yes, then you'll definitely hear it through headphones. You can reduce it by 3dB by using the 4 ohm tap instead of the 8 ohm.

Here is a headphone adapter made by Antique Sound Lab:

ANTIQUE SOUNDLAB

Oct 7, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #6 of 6
Also, alas, there will be no re-emergence of the HF-2. There may well be an HF-3, bu that's years down the road, if ever. You best bet is picking up a used pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back