Can I plug my HD650s into my ODAC without an amp?
Oct 4, 2013 at 4:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Dovin

New Head-Fier
I'm sorry if this is a very stupid question, but I wanted to ask someone who actually knows about this before I tried to experiment.

I read somewhere that I should never plug my headphones into my DAC because it has to high voltage and would break the headphones, or something similar. This is why I have doubt.

Now the reason I want to do this, is that I have an assignment that I need to do at school during the weekend so I would like to bring my music and some proper sound with me. I have an O2, but I can't really bring it with me, it's using a EU plug and I'm in England. Also the PC lab does not have easy access to the plugs, so using an adapter would also be troublesome. 

So can I just plug my HD650s in my ODAC without everything braking?

Sorry for the stupid questions, I'm still pretty new to the proper sound arena.

Thank you for any help.

-Tore

Oct 4, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #2 of 7
I would think you could plug the 300-Ohm HD650s straight into the ODAC line-out, but I would think it would not have enough volume.
At least spend $100 for a Schiit Magni headphone amplifier.

Oct 4, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #4 of 7
  I have an O2, so I'm fine on the amp front, only problem I can't use it at school since I would need to power it, but the ODAC only needs USB power.

The O2 can run off it's battery.

Oct 4, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #5 of 7
Wow do I feel like a total retard... I didn't even know it had a battery. Thank you PurpleAngel for pointing that out, that makes things a whole lot easier. I'm truly sorry for posting such stupid threads.

Oct 4, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #6 of 7
  Wow do I feel like a total retard... I didn't even know it had a battery. Thank you PurpleAngel for pointing that out, that makes things a whole lot easier. I'm truly sorry for posting such stupid threads.

I like it when someone posts a thread with a "stupid" question, usually they are the easiest to answer.
Believe the O2 has two 9V rechargable batteries.

Oct 5, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #7 of 7
You can plug your headphones straight into any DAC with the standard redbook 2V RMS output and it wouldn't blow it up. Many higher output headphone amps are designed to out 15V or more voltage swing. BUT, it is a line out so it's designed to put the 2V RMS into a 5K ohm input which removes most of the bass and midrange from the sound, since the HD650s are only 300ohm. 

So yes, it wouldn't blow it up but you'll hear only around 10% or less of the DAC's potential and it will sound much worse than not having it at all. There are some people (new to DACs) who buy a standalone DAC, plug it into a computer, use the operating system volume control (which reduces bit depth, making a 24bit DAC into a 16bit and a 16bit into 10 bit) and then complain that they've spent all that money for no snake oil when they are the culprit. A DAC is NOT an amp!!! Don't use it as such and you wouldn't be disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back