Can I mix stereo only projects using a binaural/immersive centric headphone ?
Jan 13, 2023 at 12:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

snazpizaz

New Head-Fier
Hi

Seeking advice on OLLO AUDIO S5X 1.0 binaural/immersive headphones:

https://olloaudio.com/products/s5x-1-0-reference-headphones

1. Is it standard that you can mix stereo only projects using a binaural/immersive centric headphone or do you have to swap out to a stereo specificreference headphone ?

2. Does anyone have any recommendations for desktop or portable amps/dacs which compliment the OLLO AUDIO S5X 1.0 binaural/immersive headphone ? Apparently it tranmits any chain equipment signiture so i am wondering if some are better than others.

Cheers. sp

Jan 22, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #2 of 7
The OLLO Audio S5X 1.0 operate like any normal common headphone and in general any normal headphone could be used for audio production (technically)
Normal and common headphones can come with a biased in their sound (bass or treble or mid range or vocals, etc), so not the best choice for audio production work.
So the OLLO audio S5X 1.0 is more designed and carefully constructed (matching transducers) for audio production.
The S5X should function like any normal headphone, plugged into just about and DAC/amp (smart phone DAP, etc) that's available.
If if your will to spend the cash, a headphone amplifier, with a balanced headphone jack and a balanced headphone cable would be the best setup.
Most use a headphone amplifier, with the much more common (and lower price) un-balanced headphone jack.
Budget for your audio improvements?

Jan 22, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 7
Hi cheers
the guy who runs Ollo is saying in a recent email : -
" S5X are tuned for immersive but just as any Dolby studio (or Sony) for immersive can work well for stereo, these will too. Ideally, you'll be mixing stereo with S4X as they have less sound stage, more direct sounding. For example, hearing a 1dB compression at work with S4X is a lot easier than S5X. On the flip side, object placing in binaural rendering with the S4X is less accurate, so that's the area of excellence for the 5X version."

1. What do i need in mixing software which differentiate between stereo and emmersive mixing ?
  2. Can i move about sound placement off a stereo recorded / mixed high quality file remixed in software ? Or does it have to occur at the point of sound recording and capture ?

cheers
sp

Jan 22, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #4 of 7
I know very little about audio production.
But as your into audio production (creating or mixing or editing, etc), it would seem like an Audio Interface or mixer (with the software that comes with the hardware) is what you need, buy an all in one hardware/software package.
Or you should be able to get a USB DAC/amp as hardware and get any software package you like (or need) to work with it.
You might try asking these question on forums more dedicated to audio production.

Jan 23, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #7 of 7
Those are interesting headphones, but they have a very niche use case.
I would be looking at the "usual suspect" pro audio headphones with sonarworks.
Then for the immersive aspect a plugin like WavesNX, which can be trialled for free.
That way one headphone is being used to do the checking between the neutral and spatial aspects of a mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back