can i Mismatch amp and passive speaker?
Mar 10, 2014 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

imeem

100+ Head-Fier
I'm currently using this mini "component system": the impedance on the speakers r 6 ohms and 50W input power.  The amp says 6 ohms and 88W power consumption.

I want to swap the amp because it's picking up interference.

Can i use this particular amp:

Impedance: 8-16(?) ohms

this particular's amp matching speakers  are rated 8 ohms and 120 Ws input. 

Is it safe/am i allow to use this amp for my 6 ohsm and 50w input power speakers? 

Mar 10, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #3 of 5
i guess it's fine then. Even with the current amp + speaker, i don't go above 6/29 on the volume. Is it more likely to damage my speakers or new amp? I don't mind the speakers breaking but i care about the new amp. (as you can see, i'm not good with electricity) 

Mar 11, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #4 of 5
i guess it's fine then. Even with the current amp + speaker, i don't go above 6/29 on the volume. Is it more likely to damage my speakers or new amp? I don't mind the speakers breaking but i care about the new amp. (as you can see, i'm not good with electricity) 

It's not going to hurt the speakers.

Mar 11, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #5 of 5
alright i swapped it. So much better in terms of interference. I would like to say the sound quality is better, but i think it's mainly a volume effect since i didn't do a A/B comparison. Tho i notice 1 little issue, and it is that my left output on the new amp doesn't consistently send signal to my speaker unless i play around with the volume. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back