Can I get DLO from an Ipod Classic 160?
Sep 20, 2009 at 7:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Hanafuda

500+ Head-Fier
looking for a higher capacity upgrade from my Zune 30. The original Zune's got some nice SQ from the headphone jack, so in order to see the Ipod 160 as an upgrade, I'd need to be able to get direct line-out from the synch port. Does the current classic 160 still do this like ipods of the past? If so I could look forward to mating it up with a nice protable DAC/amp setup.

Sorry for my ignorance of things Apple. I've always been satisfied with my Zune 30 on all accounts except for capacity. But M$ does not have a product, in my opinion, that would be an upgrade to my old Zune. The ZUne 80 and 120 are cheaply built crap next to the 30, and the HD maxes out at 32GB, so pretty much no change for me. So now I'm wading into unfamiliar territory (ipod).

Sep 20, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #2 of 13
Hi Hanafuda.

Yes the Classic 160Gb can be connected via a LOD to get DLO. If capacity is of concern, think about getting a 4G or 5.5G and get it upgraded to 240GB. You also get the highly regarded Wolson DAC in those.

Happy listening and welcome to the journey. It might get expensive!

Sceptre

Sep 20, 2009 at 9:13 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

The ZUne 80 and 120 are cheaply built crap next to the 30

Have you used one? I own and love a Zune 30, but I've used the 120, and it's at least as solidly build (I would argue better) than the 30.

Sep 20, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you used one? I own and love a Zune 30, but I've used the 120, and it's at least as solidly build (I would argue better) than the 30.

yeah, I bought my son a Zune 80. It held up ok through the 1 yr warranty period, but since then the screen cracked, the display died, the pad sticks, and the hold switch is loose and only works if you press it down hard while sliding it.

On the other hand, my 30 still looks like-new. It has been used at least 9 out of every 10 days since I bought it.

The delapidation of my son's 80 might have a good bit to do with his teenaged handling of the device vs. my more mature and careful handling. But we both agree the 80 was the more fragile and less sturdy from the start.

Sep 20, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanafuda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
looking for a higher capacity upgrade from my Zune 30. The original Zune's got some nice SQ from the headphone jack, so in order to see the Ipod 160 as an upgrade, I'd need to be able to get direct line-out from the synch port. Does the current classic 160 still do this like ipods of the past? If so I could look forward to mating it up with a nice protable DAC/amp setup.

Sorry for my ignorance of things Apple. I've always been satisfied with my Zune 30 on all accounts except for capacity. But M$ does not have a product, in my opinion, that would be an upgrade to my old Zune. The ZUne 80 and 120 are cheaply built crap next to the 30, and the HD maxes out at 32GB, so pretty much no change for me. So now I'm wading into unfamiliar territory (ipod).

There's also the option to upgrade the hard drive to 100gb from sellers such as rapid repair if you decide you want to stick to the original zune 30gb form factor

Sep 20, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvelousmarvyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's also the option to upgrade the hard drive to 100gb from sellers such as rapid repair if you decide you want to stick to the original zune 30gb form factor

yeah, i've looked at that possibility. Expensive, but nice that its possible. But with a choice between $180 to upgrade to 100GB, or $249 to upgrade to 160GB (and a brand new device & warranty), it's a no-brainer I think.

Sep 22, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #9 of 13
I'm enjoying a great 2009 music&sound wise with my iPod Classic 120Gb through the line out.

I had a Zune 120 last year and IMHO an amped line-out beats it easily. Am about to sell the 120Gb to get a new 160Gb (need the space) that's how happy i am.

I had a Cowon X5 from 2005 to 2008 it was great but when it comes to tech support you are out on your own. At least in Europe.

A former iPod hater
wink.gif

Sep 22, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanafuda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd need to be able to get direct line-out from the synch port. Does the current classic 160 still do this like ipods of the past? If so I could look forward to mating it up with a nice protable DAC/amp setup.

I'm not sure of the question you are asking. There is a big difference between a direct out (which is what the iPod has) and a digital out (which would be required to work with the DAC/amp you are asking about for your portable setup).

Sep 22, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sceptre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes the Classic 160Gb can be connected via a LOD to get DLO. If capacity is of concern, think about getting a 4G or 5.5G and get it upgraded to 240GB. You also get the highly regarded Wolson DAC in those.

The 4th and 5th gens have different hard drive connection types. Does anyone make a hard drive larger than 60GB for the 4th gen? If so, any idea on what sizes? I could put the extra space to good use.
biggrin.gif

The sound quality of my iPod Photo is pretty close to my Zune 120, IMO (both amped). I think the iPod is a little bit warmer, but both sound really good and pretty close. Better IEMs (I use RE0's) and a better amp (I use a BSG cmoy) might yield different results though.

Quote:

The ZUne 80 and 120 are cheaply built crap next to the 30

What do you mean? I've had the 30 (hand-me-down now) and the 120, and I don't really see how the 120 is cheaply built. Unless you mean the top plastic part is cheap, which I could somewhat see your point there. They're both built better than iPods, IMO (at least 4th gens anyway). Watch the video of the Mad Money guy trying to smash a 30 with a baseball bat. That thing just wouldn't give up!

Sep 24, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #12 of 13
bba1973;6030833 said:
The 4th and 5th gens have different hard drive connection types. Does anyone make a hard drive larger than 60GB for the 4th gen? If so, any idea on what sizes? I could put the extra space to good use.
biggrin.gif

Toshiba made an 80gig hard drive that fits the 4th gen Ipod. This drive is rare and very expensive usually going for around $200

Sep 24, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Toshiba made an 80gig hard drive that fits the 4th gen Ipod. This drive is rare and very expensive usually going for around $200

Thanks for the info. Sounds pretty high.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back