Can I get a list of open back headphones ranging from 300-700?
Apr 9, 2016 at 1:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

spykez

100+ Head-Fier
I'm starting my research on buying some new headphones. Getting that bug to try something new.

Current setup:
Schiit Asgard 2 amp
Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog w/USB Gen 2
Sennheiser HD598 (music and gaming)
AKG K7xx, of which I'm selling as I don't really care for how they sound even after some of the simple mods done to them. I find myself reaching for the 598 even for metal over the AKG.

What I listen to: Everything. Enya, In Flames, Devin Townsend, Pink Floyd, Chillstep (Black Mill and Sunlounger), 80's metal like Savatage, Queensryche, huge fan of the Righteous Brothers.

Music @:45

I'm not looking for something bass heavy. I like bass to be present and sound good but I don't need it rattling my head, hence why I'm ok with the 598 for metal even though the bottom end tends to break up.

I know there's headphone's out there that don't end up on Amazon but finding them is a whole 'nother challenge. I recently found Mad Dog's headphones that are based off of Fostex, but those don't show up on Amazon for example.

I was kinda looking at the HD700?

probably spend around 500-700.

I was looking at Planars but it seems from what I've read they're heavy and wear your down after a while.

I know it's kinda hard to have a one headphone does it all so I MAY ponder buying two new headphones and giving the 598 to my dad or something.

Throw some reading material at me.

Apr 9, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #3 of 7
  I'm starting my research on buying some new headphones. Getting that bug to try something new.

Yes I'm a Grado head, but I can't recommend the "Limited Edition" GH-1 enough!
Here you have a Grado that is very nice in the bass/sub-bass but definitely not overdone, and is extremely light! The best thing about this model is that it sounds fantastic with either the "stock" (L) cushions or the (G) cushions which come on the GS/PS-1000 series. For a total of $695.00 (including the G cushions) you'll have 2 HP's in one and can't go wrong. Read impressions on the (Grado GH-1 Discussionthread and take it from there. 

Apr 9, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #4 of 7
This might've been the first time I've seen Enya mentioned in the same sentence with In Flames

Apr 9, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #5 of 7

Yes I'm a Grado head, but I can't recommend the "Limited Edition" GH-1 enough!
Here you have a Grado that is very nice in the bass/sub-bass but definitely not overdone, and is extremely light! The best thing about this model is that it sounds fantastic with either the "stock" (L) cushions or the (G) cushions which come on the GS/PS-1000 series. For a total of $695.00 (including the G cushions) you'll have 2 HP's in one and can't go wrong. Read impressions on the (Grado GH-1 Discussionthread and take it from there. 

I'll look into them, I've always heard a common complaint with Grados that they're uncomfortable for extended periods of time. Are those on ear or over ear?

This might've been the first time I've seen Enya mentioned in the same sentence with In Flames

etysmile.gif
 Well, like I said, I listen to a lot haha. Some days I wanna get my adrenaline doing, some days i wanna sit back and chill. Her new album is absolutely fantastic.

Are you happy with the Asgard 2?  I'm looking at getting that soon.  Would be driving the HD600's.  

Couldn't be happier with it. Went from a Topping VX1 to a Little Dot MK3 to my Schiit Asgard 2 and never looked back. Getting a new amp doesn't really even interest me the slightest, I kinda wanna try the Valhalla but that's really about it. My 598 really came to life with the Asgard, even more so than with the Little Dot. All a sudden these have a bottom end that wasn't there with any other amp.

Apr 9, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #7 of 7

I'll look into them, I've always heard a common complaint with Grados that they're uncomfortable for extended periods of time. Are those on ear or over ear?

The "stock" (L) cushions are on ear, but the (G) cushions are over ear…which IMO/IME take the GH-1 to another level.

Kinda have a problem with paying that much for headphones that don't have a replaceable cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back