Can I fry my T-amp with this adapter
Jan 26, 2007 at 7:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

MdRex

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

I recently imported a T-amp from US to Singapore and I have questions regarding the power supply. I recently saw a PSU in a local store that can output up to 15V (can be adjusted to 12V) and 3.6A of power. To my knowledge the PSU offered by SI is rated to output 2A of power. So my question is that if I use a wall wart that output 3.6A can I potentially fry my T-amp. I don't want to fry it since importing the T-amp isn't the cheapest thing that can happen.
tongue.gif

Also the PSU that I referred to is rather expensive (cost almost as much as the T-amp itself). I was planning to use the T-amp with some Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 and was wondering what is the minimum current rating reccomended for a T-amp PSU?

Thanks for reading! I appreciate your help!
biggrin.gif

BTW, Can someone with a T-amp help me measure the diameter of the DC supply plug?

Jan 27, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #3 of 13
Too many amps is ok. It's too few that causes problems. However, too much voltage can blow it out. The T-Amp is made for 12v. Some people have gone up to 13.5v without problems, but no guarantees.

Jan 27, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #4 of 13
The chip works at 13.5V fine, you will not fry the amp with 3.5 A, as simply the PSU will not give the amp more that what it demands at a given time. In other words a 3.5A PSU is just a reserve of current just in case in any peak the amp will demand that much current from the PSU. The PSU do not give the amp the current, the amp "ask" the PSU for the current it needs, and period...3.5A for the T-Amp is killer, I have run mine with 1A with no problems to the date...

Jan 28, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by MdRex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey all,

I recently imported a T-amp from US to Singapore and I have questions regarding the power supply. I recently saw a PSU in a local store that can output up to 15V (can be adjusted to 12V) and 3.6A of power. To my knowledge the PSU offered by SI is rated to output 2A of power. So my question is that if I use a wall wart that output 3.6A can I potentially fry my T-amp. I don't want to fry it since importing the T-amp isn't the cheapest thing that can happen.
tongue.gif

Also the PSU that I referred to is rather expensive (cost almost as much as the T-amp itself). I was planning to use the T-amp with some Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 and was wondering what is the minimum current rating reccomended for a T-amp PSU?

Thanks for reading! I appreciate your help!
biggrin.gif

BTW, Can someone with a T-amp help me measure the diameter of the DC supply plug?

IIRC the T-amp must not be supplied an input voltage higher than 13.8VDC. Any higher than that, the T-amp is toast. You want the PSU to be regulated too so there is no chance of a voltage spike that can toast the amp. Current delivery-wise, I'd say 1.5A is the minimum acceptable. Any higher is no problem.

By the way, the T-amp is not really that expensive. The PSU I use for it costs nearly double the T-amp. 5A, 13.8VDC linear regulated PSU in a big metal case. Industrial-looking piece of kit.

Cheers!

Jan 28, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #6 of 13
I think that it's the importing of the T-amp that the OP was referring to, not the cost of the unit itself.
Regardless, I think that power supply will suit you fine. You can also try 12V, then raise it slowly and see if there's an audible performance. I've heard from some that more volts help the sound, from others that it just produces excess heat.

Not to jack the post or anything, but would anyone know where to procure a suitable heatsink for the t-amp chip? I think I'm gonna see if it can fit in a nice hammond enclosure so I may as well heatsink the chip while I'm at it.

Jan 28, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #7 of 13
Sorta a threadjack but since this is related I won't start a new topic.

Is it bad idea to use my computers PSU to power the T-Amp (while I'm using the computer as well?

The PSU should output 12V so I don't see a problem, but am I missing something?

The PSU I think is a 300w Antec inside a PIII system.

Jan 28, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is it bad idea to use my computers PSU to power the T-Amp (while I'm using the computer as well?

I'm interested as to how you would accomplish this (molex 12v-barrel connector?). That notwithstanding, while I'm not an expert, I think this would be feasible. However, someone with more prowess in this subject may disprove me altogether. I would think that, as long as the t-amp requests a steady 12v line, which it would do, then it wouldn't put undue stress on the power supply.

However, I have heard or poorly designed potentiometers on computer fans (used to quiet them) of shorting the power supply itself, since it in essence would be drawing 12V and only delivering 5 or 7V, causing some feedback into the power supply itself. Or something like that. I believe I found it on a website, I'll link if I can find it.

Jan 28, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

yes it will work, but you get a lot of noise and bad sound quality since computer power supplies give dirty power.

Jan 28, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #10 of 13
My own Antec TruePower 330W does not output the correct 12V power (it's slightly lower). Hence beside being an electrically noisy power source, computer PSUs are not a very good choice to power audio-related stuff. You'd do well to get a dedicated PSU for the T-amp (and make sure its within acceptable voltage output).

Cheers!

Jan 28, 2007 at 4:20 AM Post #13 of 13

Users who are viewing this thread

Back