Can I carry a hard drive onto a plane???
Jul 6, 2005 at 12:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

axle

100+ Head-Fier
Just a naked drive, probably wrapped in bubble wrap. Domestic flight.

Anyone? And will the X-rays harm it? This drive has ALL my music...

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 6, 2005 at 12:15 AM Post #2 of 8
xrays shouldent harm it... might think your a terrorist tho

Jul 6, 2005 at 12:28 AM Post #4 of 8
I didn't think the X-Rays would (laptops--people carry laptops all the time), but will they let me through? It does look sort of funny...

Jul 6, 2005 at 12:36 AM Post #5 of 8
It depends on the TSA employee. It is, after all, up to "their discretion" to decide whether or not you'll board. So long as they X-Ray and sniff it, I can't see any possible reason why they wouldn't, but you never know.

You could always try the old standby - stick it in a fancy case, preferably with a brand name. People have done this with amps. If you slap a big 'ol "Sony" on the top, they don't question it.

Jul 6, 2005 at 12:53 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by IGNGcubeman
The only worries with X-rays is film, but TSA claims thier machines don't harm film, I havn't tired so I wouldn't know though.

x-rays destroy film.

high-speed films are hopeless low speed films have a chance. the lead-foil-bags dont protect from the amounts of x-ray radiation that the scanner machines can "give."

Jul 6, 2005 at 12:58 AM Post #7 of 8
I've done it before. It's fine. The airport people probably know what a harddrive looks like. I took a very non-descript looking LaCie external with me on a flight and had zero trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back