Can I Build iPod from Parts?
May 18, 2009 at 7:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

pila405

500+ Head-Fier
May 18, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #2 of 31
You could. But it'd be more expensive than just buying a whole one. You could build an iPod Photo out of replacement parts if you wanted, but it'd cost more than a touch, so whats the point.

May 18, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #3 of 31
Ipod is made by modules...

Such as:
- Logic Board
- LCD
- HDD
- Battery
- female jack+hold switch (1 module)
- docking module
- clickwheel

But it seems that you cannot buy the housing...

May 18, 2009 at 8:40 AM Post #4 of 31
I do can buy the housing, look on the links above.
Buying the WHOLE parts will cost 190$, while it will have 160GB HD.

the parts are:
-Screen
-Mainboard / Logic Board
-Housing + Clicking Wheel
-160GB 1.8" HD
-Audio/Headphones Jack
-Hold Button
-Middle Frame
-850mah Battery

May 18, 2009 at 9:39 AM Post #5 of 31
Hmm, that is interesting
smily_headphones1.gif

Is such a logicboard as good as the original one? Is there the same wolfson DAC on it or is it just a cheap replacement?

May 18, 2009 at 10:14 AM Post #6 of 31
It's the original logicboard.

May 18, 2009 at 1:20 PM Post #8 of 31
screen, housing (front and back), click wheel, metal frame, headphone jack and hold switch assembly and the battery will cost something in the region of:

£50

its the storage and logic board which are the pricey items, maybe try and get a couple of knackered of ipods off ebay for spares/repair and salvage what u can, it should be possible to buy one for less than the cost of a logic board and "hopefully" the logic board will be useable as will the headphone jack and hold assembly and the hold switch button and click wheel assembly.

Obviously this is not always the case, but very often the problem with these knackered ipods is the hdd only. Do a bit of research of ipod malfunctions, search on ebay, ask sellers questions and try that route if ya want, "might" save a little cash

Otherwise stick to ya plan if thats what you really want to do. But as has been answered, yes it is possible, but perhaps not the most financially practical way of doing things.

May 18, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #10 of 31
dazzer - Thank you very much for the great ideas.

The purpose is saving money, which isn't what that is gonna be unfortuanly...
I guess I will buy some scratched iPod for 50$ and new housing and new HD.

Can you recommend me about drivers which will match the 5.5g iPod? or just tell me what kind of connector I need.

I need 160GB HD.

May 18, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #12 of 31
I liked it! myPod!!!!

May 18, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #13 of 31
"Anything" is possible.
As long as you have the needed skills, and source of all the needed parts.

May 18, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #15 of 31
On a serious note, was the 160gb logic board actually 5.5 gen. or later ? I'm pretty sure that that the 80gb was 5.5gen.(it was also called the iPod Video) but I'm not so sure about the 160gb. If it were me & I had the time,access to the parts & most iportantly saavy to pull off the build , I don't think I would opt for the 160 if I was'nt sure that it was still using the Wolfson. You still have plenty of capacity w/ the 80 & most importantly(if it were me,once again) the Wolfson. Regardless of what you use I would look up whatever info I could find on the DIYMOD from the start rather than just follow how the iPod is put together stock. If you are going to take the trouble to build your own player it does'nt hurt to get some insight from others who have taken the time to work on the player. Good Luck! Let us know how things go !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back