Can headphones be too loud?
Apr 4, 2010 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

vanhalen26

100+ Head-Fier
My wife just came from the bedroom in the floor above to complain I am bothering her with my listening volume on my HD 650's.

Anyone else get this ... I gave in and turned it down - she just might have a point if she can hear from upstairs ... But she might not!

Apr 4, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #2 of 22
Lol, they're only too loud when I'm using them and my girlfriend is sleeping. She would constantly complain about the AD700s. Now with the M50s, she sleeps like a baby. The DT880 falls somewhere in between. They're audible, but not as loud as the AD700s.

Apr 4, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by vanhalen26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My wife just came from the bedroom in the floor above to complain I am bothering her with my listening volume on my HD 650's.

Anyone else get this ... I gave in and turned it down - she just might have a point if she can hear from upstairs ... But she might not!

Unless your floors are made out of paper (or your wife has unbelievable hearing) this is just plain irresponsible. You are going to lose your hearing very very soon my friend.

Apr 4, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasahara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are going to lose your hearing very very soon my friend.

Please take good care of your golden ears my friend. Ear replacements/transplants are not yet available at this time.
atsmile.gif

Apr 4, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasahara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless your floors are made out of paper (or your wife has unbelievable hearing) this is just plain irresponsible. You are going to lose your hearing very very soon my friend.

That's nothing. My younger brother plays it loud enough that everyone can hear it on the other side of the house and he uses closed phones. He's definitely ruining his hearing. The old CRT TV in the living room makes this high pitched squeal when it's on that I can hear but no one else, brother included, can. His high frequency hearing's already getting shot
frown.gif

So yes, you can very easily play headphones too loud! I think it's safe to say that if someone in another room (even the next room) can hear the music enough to be bothered with open headphones it's too loud, and if someone in the next chair can hear it with decent closed headphones it's too loud. But I wouldn't know exactly, I listen quiet.

@ below: It won't be your 500th if a mod deletes it for pointless spam, man.

Apr 4, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #6 of 22
Excuse me headfiers, this is my 500th post!

[size=xx-large]I LOVE HEADFI.ORG![/size]

[size=small]Let's take good care of our ears up to 100 years! [/size]
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 4, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #7 of 22
Open back headphones will always sound like they are loud to others, since they leak a lot of sound. Just follow the advice of others here, and use your best judgment. You only get one set of ears.

Apr 4, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #8 of 22
I can hear my HD650s in the bathroom that shares a wall with my bedroom when listening at normal volumes for myself (I've been told by many of my peers that " listen like a baby," so I'm assuming that I listen at a low volume level).

Apr 4, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #9 of 22
She just might have a point. If she can hear from upstairs, that's ought to be perhaps too loud. Take care of your ears yo...hearing damage is irreversible once worsened as far as I know...

Apr 4, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #10 of 22
Why not get an SPL meter from radio shack and see what you are doing to yourself? They only cost about $50 and can be used for other things besides determining how bad your listening habits may be for your long term ear-health.

Set your system at you normal level and measure. one mans "Holly fck thats loud" is another man's normal. OSHA has standards for the workplace.

Apr 4, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #12 of 22
Asking if headphones can be too loud is like asking if a cut can be too deep. It's just as well you can read, because very soon you won't be able to hear.

Apr 4, 2010 at 4:39 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by VALIENTE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's take good care of our ears up to 100 years!

And then what? Just blast away?
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #14 of 22
Some people are just bothered because they have a mentality where it's ok for speakers to create noise but not headphones, because headphones are obviously meant to seal you away from the world, so any leakage is bad for you and bad for me ... right?

I'd ask her if she'd be bothered if you had used speakers instead. If yes, then well... an nice closed phone's next!
tongue.gif

Apr 4, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #15 of 22
Of course they can.
Many open-back headphones leak a lot, so depending on the strength of the signal you feed them they may be way too loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back