Can headphone power calculators be trusted?
Sep 9, 2023 at 9:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

N3XED

New Head-Fier
So, I just visited a few different headphone power calculators to try and get an idea of what power requirements the modhouse Tungsten would have. So I would have a boon of said calculators... But I feel as if they are lying to me. The power/voltage requirements seem suspiciously low for the Tungstens given there specs. (That being; 155 ohm impedance and a 78db per SPL/mw.

This is what it's showing;

1694267075782.png

Now two thing. 1. I am aware this is *just* an estimate and shouldn't be used as the only metric to buy a headphone amp and 2. the 110db loudness is obviously not going to be a reasonable listening volume...However, people are hyping up tungsten. And from what I have seen some suggest a decently powerful speaker amp for it. What are your guys take on this? Are these headphones going to be more or less powerful then what people suggest?

Sep 9, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #2 of 6
Yes and no. Let me elaborate a bit more. If you measure the output of the amp at a certain SPL you should get exactly or very close to the calculated number. However if you buy an amp based on the actual required parameters your amp may not sound all that great, especially if we are talking about solid state.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #3 of 6
So, I just visited a few different headphone power calculators to try and get an idea of what power requirements the modhouse Tungsten would have. So I would have a boon of said calculators... But I feel as if they are lying to me. The power/voltage requirements seem suspiciously low for the Tungstens given there specs. (That being; 155 ohm impedance and a 78db per SPL/mw.

This is what it's showing;

Now two thing. 1. I am aware this is *just* an estimate and shouldn't be used as the only metric to buy a headphone amp and 2. the 110db loudness is obviously not going to be a reasonable listening volume...However, people are hyping up tungsten. And from what I have seen some suggest a decently powerful speaker amp for it. What are your guys take on this? Are these headphones going to be more or less powerful then what people suggest?
The calculator seems right. Nothing wrong about it. Many people don't realise we listen only few miliwatts (mw) of power for daily listening (I assume 65-80dB loudness) with 99% of earphones/headphones in current market.

Also, power (watt) tells nothing about sound quality (signal quality). Other thing to understand, an amp may powerful enough (based on volt/ampere) for Tungsten to produce 110dB, but doesn't mean the gain is enough to produce that loudness. So need to count the gain as well.

P.S: To drive Tungsten till 120dB loudness (if you want to count headroom for peak signal), you gonna need around 15W of power.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #4 of 6
The calculator seems right. Nothing wrong about it. Many people don't realise we listen only few miliwatts (mw) of power for daily listening (I assume 65-80dB loudness) with 99% of earphones/headphones in current market.

Also, power (watt) tells nothing about sound quality (signal quality). Other thing to understand, an amp may powerful enough (based on volt/ampere) for Tungsten to produce 110dB, but doesn't mean the gain is enough to produce that loudness. So need to count the gain as well.

P.S: To drive Tungsten till 120dB loudness (if you want to count headroom for peak signal), you gonna need around 15W of power.
I see. The only thing that caught me off guard here was gain not being enough to produce loudness. Can you elaborate further on that? Namely outside just pressing the *higher* button for gain. Because that's what I am assuming you mean. And if so, can I tell based on an amplifiers gain specs?
Because I'm not sure what to base these numbers off.

1694434395457.png

Sep 11, 2023 at 9:12 AM Post #5 of 6
Power output into a headphone load has already taken into account voltage, current and load impedance. Loudness is a function of impedance, sensitivity of the driver and power output. In any case you are getting into the weeds that will only confuse you. If you are interested in this stuff go get an EE degree, take some class or read some books otherwise just listen to the amp.

Sep 11, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #6 of 6
Power output into a headphone load has already taken into account voltage, current and load impedance. Loudness is a function of impedance, sensitivity of the driver and power output. In any case you are getting into the weeds that will only confuse you. If you are interested in this stuff go get an EE degree, take some class or read some books otherwise just listen to the amp.
I probably should at this point lul. Might give it a few years first

Users who are viewing this thread

Back