Can foobar display chinese characters?
Jan 30, 2006 at 4:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

humanflyz

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently ripped some old Chinese CDs from my parents, but somehow Foobar can't display the Chinese characters in the tags. Is there a way that I can get Foobar to display the proper Chinese characters? I do have the special edition of Foobar.

Jan 30, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #2 of 8
Err, I think you need to tag them in Unicode. Are you using EAC? EAC tags in locale-character code ( I think ), so it gets garbled in Foobar, which only supports Unicode. This drove me nuts, too.

Edit: Just want to say characterCode in general drives me nuts...

Jan 30, 2006 at 6:35 AM Post #3 of 8
Yeah I'm using EAC, so it looks I'll be stuck manually entering the tags after I rip them. Aaarg
frown.gif

Jan 30, 2006 at 11:48 AM Post #4 of 8
OK, I don't know if this works, but some things you can try.

If your computer has the same locale as the character set of the tag:
ID3v2 tag support
Components -> ID3v2 tag support -> "Decode and write ISO-8859-1 tags using system codepage (non-standard)"
Contextual Menus-> "Database/Reload info from file(s)"

For unicode conversion, try the component: Codepage convert

Hope it works!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #5 of 8
Thanks zChan, the Codepage conversion worked, provided that you have iconv.dll in the Foobar directory, but that file is easily accessible on the Internet. So now masstagger works fine with Asian characters.

Jan 31, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #6 of 8
Are you sure that you can display the Unicode in the first place? Does it display in iTunes and Winamp for example? You can try installing the language files by doing this:

Control Panel | Regional and Language Settings | Languages
and then check

-Install Support for East Asian Languages

Jan 31, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by decayed.cell
Are you sure that you can display the Unicode in the first place? Does it display in iTunes and Winamp for example? You can try installing the language files by doing this:

Control Panel | Regional and Language Settings | Languages
and then check

-Install Support for East Asian Languages

Winamp does not support unicode, so using it as a basis for whether unicode will display is pointless hehe. Besides, if he was able to put Chinese tags in correctly, then he has to have the language installed - otherwise he'd not be able to see what he was entering.

Feb 1, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #8 of 8
Hey, Nice to hear it worked out ok.
smily_headphones1.gif

Character codes are so fickle...

Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz
Thanks zChan, the Codepage conversion worked, provided that you have iconv.dll in the Foobar directory, but that file is easily accessible on the Internet. So now masstagger works fine with Asian characters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back