Can extreme volumes damage iems?
May 15, 2012 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Bossatiger

100+ Head-Fier
Just got my gr-07s in the mail, plugged them into my ibasso D4. I did not notice that the software volume was at 100% and I left my amp at 100%. Played a song, whicih blasted my ears pretty badly. My ears are now okay after two days (temporary hearing loss) but I'm wondering if such high volumes can damage the diaphragm and driver. When I pulled them out of me ears in an instant, they sounded almost like terribly distorted cellphone speakers. I hope these were heavy duty, considering I shot them with a huge blast for 10 seconds.

I now am paranoid of volume levels for everything. mostly because of ear damage, but also because I don't wanna break my stuff.

May 15, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #3 of 3
Ouch man.  A lot of dynamic drivers reach elastic limit about 10,000 times every low bass frequency is played.  Worst case scenario... you pushed the driver beyond its elastic limit, and it will likely be fine.  I have done some goofy stuff like that in the past with IE8's etc.  I had my amp volume maxed, the PC volume maxed, and it was an ear shattering combination.  As far as the temporary hearing loss, I would be a bit more concerned with that.  If you did lose hearing, it is advised that you avoid all loud music, headphones, etc for at least 5-7 days to allow the ears to adjust to normal listening volume.  Otherwise, you could get a nasty case of tinnitus or a chronic ringing in the ears(Which all audiophiles have if they play their IEM's/headphones above 50% for extended periods.)  Be weary of listening if you got any sudden ringing in your ears while listening, as it is an indication of hearing loss.  My 2 cents.  Put the headphones down for about a week, burn them in for a week!  When I used to listen to music at very high dB levels, I actually had a chronic case of tinnitus to, the point where I had to have a form of white noise to match the high frequency that was constantly in my ear.  I couldn't listen to headphones for 4 months, and I my hearing finally cured itself up.  You will likely find that you are more sensitive to high pitch sounds and loud sounds.  Be cautious when dealing with your hearing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back