Can Earbuds or IEM's sound similar or better than full size phones?
Dec 3, 2009 at 9:52 AM Post #16 of 17
Idk... in the midrange I've owned the IE8s and still own the UM3X (probably for not much longer). While nice and detailed, I find I really cannot tolerate strong bass so close to my ears, hence my ditching of the IE8s. The UM3X is warm but balanced and detailed with pretty decent instrument separation others have labeled as amazing. Its soundstage is so poor though, that I'm effectively reduced to pinpointing sounds within the confines of my skull, albeit very distinct parts of my skull.

Then I go to try some equivalent headphones and I am blown away by the K702's and the HD650's (the latter moreso) overall sound. While the K702 may seem more like my UM3X with its detail and balance, I realize that strong bass is my thing, only not so close to my ear. The wider soundstage immensely helps and IMO, very good instrument separation is overrated (decent is enough).

So I guess headphones, for me, will almost always sound better.

Dec 3, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #17 of 17
Same I guess, Earbuds just simply have the upper hand when it comes to portability.

I am looking at the SRH440's and SRH750DJ's right now when it comes to headphones. Either that or an equivilent Audio Technica set of cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back