Can Earbuds or IEM's sound similar or better than full size phones?
Dec 3, 2009 at 1:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

SoulMisaki

Head-Fier
Woot, my first non-recommendation thread. My comparison here will be the M50's, are there any earbuds or IEM's that sound similar or better? In terms of bass especially? Ever since Ive been forced to use my Apple buds lately, I've been getting more open to the idea of getting good buds, but I want to learn about them more first.
ksc75smile.gif

Any info on the subject would be great, links would be cool too.
wink.gif

Dec 3, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoulMisaki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Woot, my first non-recommendation thread. My comparison here will be the M50's, are there any earbuds or IEM's that sound similar or better? In terms of bass especially? Ever since Ive been forced to use my Apple buds lately, I've been getting more open to the idea of getting good buds, but I want to learn about them more first.
ksc75smile.gif

Any info on the subject would be great, links would be cool too.
wink.gif

The upper end of IEM's blows away many full sized cans and many sub $300 IEM's will give a very satisfying experience across the audible range. Where IEM's and buds fall short is in soundstage for the most part.

EDIT: My "cheaper than dirt" Koss Sparkplugs beat the lips off of iBuds imo. Their memory foam sleeves give great isolation but can get uncomfortable after a while (over an hour).

Dec 3, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #4 of 17
IEMs have come a long way. 5 years ago you had to go custom to have something that sounds acceptable, but these days I'd much rather listen to an unamped UM3x than most full-size cans that have come out recently for the same price. With customs like the JH13 and ES3x intruding into the world previously only occupied by high-end 'stats, orthos, and the rare freak of a dynamic like the R10, I'd say the IEM has finally arrived.

Don't know about the M50. I do think IEMs start getting really good around the $300 pricepoint, below that they have too many flaws whereas you can get very good sound in fairly inexpensive headphones like the SR-60.

Dec 3, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

I see, so, under $300 none sound better than full sized cans?

Sorry but that can't be answered. For two reasons.

1. We need to be specific about what we are comparing (make/model) and for what genres of music.
2. Better to you may be different from my opinion of better.

Quality IEM's, including sub $300 ones, have strengths and weaknesses, just like any full-sized headphone, regardless of price.

Dec 3, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Like.. For Electronic, R&B, and Rock.

And any kind of IEM or Earbud that is comparable in those genres to the ATH-M50's

I see where this is going, and honestly I think you'll just have to explore this one on your own. The M50 is fairly popular and there may be a few M50 owners that also use IEM's and can give you more insight about specific models that I can. But again, were talking about personal preferences, which only you can find out for yourself from experience.

The best advice I can give is start with a good bang-for-the-buck IEM like a Head-Direct RE0 and go from there. If they don't fit the bill, keep trying until you find what looking for. It's quite a cliche, but it bears repeating:

"Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet"

Dec 3, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #8 of 17
Lol, I now see why everyone warns me like that. Haha. Anyway, I'll look around I guess, is it ok if I post back here with any I see that look interesting, and see what people can tell me about them?

Dec 3, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Lol, I now see why everyone warns me like that. Haha. Anyway, I'll look around I guess, is it ok if I post back here with any I see that look interesting, and see what people can tell me about them?

I doubt you'd be banned
eek.gif
but there is a forum that is dedicated to portable headphones, so it would be the best place to get advice.

Dec 3, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #10 of 17
The best way to not get banned is to spend more time reading than posting. Questions like this come up fairly often and they have been answered many times already. Now, if you can't find what you're looking for, or have something that contributes in a meaningful way to the forum, then do post it.

I haven't heard the M50, so I can't really say. But auditioning stuff is definitely going to be worthwhile. IEMs really depend on seal, and it's sometimes not possible for someone to get a good seal with an IEM, period (Westone 3 is a notorious example), and then its sound is going to be very different. So, hearing stuff for yourself in IEMs is even more important than it is elsewhere.

Dec 3, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #12 of 17
Ive been looking to see if there are any good earbuds for the ipod touch under $150, are v-moda Earbuds any good? (The vibe i's mainly, or the vibe's) Or can someone tell me of a better under $150 Earbud?

Other then that, Im looking at the Shure SRH750 DJ's. Planning for portable use.

Dec 3, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #13 of 17
I find that my $75 RE0's sound signature, that of transparency without losing much (as in barely) extension on both ends definitely beats most of my headphones I've tried, which range from $100-$400.

That being said, neutral isn't always a good thing, and comfort with IEMs is an issue, full size just feel better and just have a bigger sound

Dec 3, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #15 of 17
I have yet to find a headphone that is as pleasing to me as the ER4 (which I need to find asap because surgery related tinnitus in my right ear is very annoying with canalphones). In terms of being neutral/generating an emotional response that doesnt seem at all fake.

Also, lots of people sold the HD800 for the JH13

Users who are viewing this thread

Back