Can earbuds compete with over-ear headphones?
Apr 9, 2020 at 6:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DecrepitClanker

New Head-Fier
So far, I've been using ATH M40x, but the problem is my glasses make them uncomfortable, despite sounding amazing.

Would it be possible to get earbuds that are just as good as those but under $50 USD?

I briefly used earbuds with my phone once and couldn't even feel them.

Apr 9, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #2 of 8
So far, I've been using ATH M40x, but the problem is my glasses make them uncomfortable, despite sounding amazing.

Would it be possible to get earbuds that are just as good as those but under $50 USD?

I briefly used earbuds with my phone once and couldn't even feel them.

I have the audiotechnica M40X too. I wear specs and agree the clamp gets a bit uncomfortable with longer usage.

Earbuds are like mini open backed headphones in my opinion, just maybe slightly smaller soundstage. If u are comparing the M40X to earbuds, as the M40X is closed backed, it will have better isolation than earbuds which have almost zero isolation. And also most earbuds in general don't have good subbass quantity/extension due to the zero isolation as bass is the first frequency to be lost. Comfort with earbuds are better than M40X for sure.

So closed back cans and earbuds are slightly different, though maybe closer than IEMs vs headphones.

Maybe check out the BK2. It is a 20ish usd earbud. Detachable cables, balanced tuning, good technicals. Moderate soundstage for a earbud.

Apr 14, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #3 of 8
So closed back cans and earbuds are slightly different, though maybe closer than IEMs vs headphones.

I agreed with this, perhaps an IEMs will be a better comparison.

Apr 14, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #4 of 8
Do yourself a favor. Try a decent IEM (a $30 KZ ZS10 Pro) for example. You may not go back to headphones or relegate them to only special-case use only. Careful, though. IEMs are addictive, the market is a lot more dynamic than headphones and because they are small you can accumulate many in the space taken up by single headphone.

Apr 16, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #5 of 8
I think so, as long as they are good quality and you have a good seal so the SPL is fully utilized, foam tips are usually a good choice

Apr 16, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #6 of 8
Just for clarification, when you say earbuds, are you also including In-Ear Monitors (IEMs) or do you solely mean earbuds? The difference between them is that earbuds rest outside your ear canal and don't create a sealed connection to your ear canal while IEMs are inserted into your ear canals. Another way to differentiate them is that earbuds don't have ear tips while IEMs do have ear tips. Here's a picture that shows the difference:
1587085741504.png

Generally speaking, you'll find much better noise isolation and sound quality with IEMs.

Apr 16, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #7 of 8
IEM's would prolly do a better job with isolation and SPL but there are earbuds that have certain padding that can also be very effective

Apr 16, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #8 of 8
if you want good IEM's, give 1More a try, I heard them personally and they are impressive for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back