Can EAC extract tracks with titles using different languages?
Jun 14, 2007 at 11:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

2deadeyes

1000+ Head-Fier
The language in particular is Chinese. I'm trying to extract a few CDs of Teresa Teng using EAC but the titles come up as garbage using the FreeDB CD database. Anyone know if EAC can extract tracks with titles in kanji characters?

TIA!

Jun 15, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #2 of 5
I would avoid doing this, actually. Talking from experience, if you enter Chinese track names in EAC, you resultant files with have Chinese names. Not all systems can handle this; and even when they do, programs decode Chinese characters erratically (if you are not using Chinese version of OS) and you have to be sure you know what encoding you are using etc. Better to rip them with English titles and use something like MP3tag to tag them afterwards - this way, the files have English names, but tags provide all the meta data in Chinese.

To answer your question though, I tried entering manually Chinese characters into EAC before ripping and it seems to work. Resultant file had garbage characters - though this might be an OS / language encoding issue.

As a side note, I have problems with MP3tag retagging files into Chinese. Sometimes it works, sometimes it CRASHES. I have no idea why.

Jun 15, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks. I'll try entering the Chinese characters manually even though they come up as ???????. I guess that's related to the OS' inability to decode it.

Jun 15, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #4 of 5
If you are using English version of Windows XP, you can go to Regional And Language Options setting under control panel, under the languages tab, enable East Asian languages. Once this is done, you should be able to at least view Chinese characters.

I work with English version of XP and did the above. I can display Chinese characters and input them as well (though not sure if that is a function of Office).

Jun 15, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2deadeyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The language in particular is Chinese. I'm trying to extract a few CDs of Teresa Teng using EAC but the titles come up as garbage using the FreeDB CD database. Anyone know if EAC can extract tracks with titles in kanji characters?

TIA!

FreeDB didn't support Unicode characters until very recently (v.6 of their protocol), so a large portion of the database is useless with foreign CDs. I don't know if EAC supports v.6 of the protocol yet, but even if it does, it'll take some time for the database to catch up. You'll have to manually enter track titles for most foreign CDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back