can dynamic match electrostatics?
Jul 22, 2008 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

omendelovitz

Member of the Trade: Purity Audio
I've recently had some alone time with the baby stax 2050 system and am blown away by how it sounds AND the fact that it is the most basic desktop model they offer. I'm now tempted to look into something like the O2/727amp or the 4070 signature II combo. Problem is, Stax is damn expensive. My current source is the VDA2/VAC1 running lossless files and a markl style modding of the D5000. It would obviously be cheaper for me to upgrade my amp to get as close to the higher end stax's as possible, my question is - is it possible? I've never enjoyed so much speed, resolution and texture from any dynamic HP and I'm not sure it's even possible. Please help me! I've already sworn off singlepower and RSA (too expensive - may as well buy the stax if I'm looking at something like the B52 or Apache) and have a sick penchant for SS analyticality and detail. I'm one of those neutral/detail freaks.

I guess I should add - Moon audio sells the 4070 combo for $1675+ shipping, so to be fair let's keep the amp's cost down to about $1000.

Cheers!

Jul 22, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've recently had some alone time with the baby stax 2050 system and am blown away by how it sounds AND the fact that it is the most basic desktop model they offer. I'm now tempted to look into something like the O2/727amp or the 4070 signature II combo. Problem is, Stax is damn expensive. My current source is the VDA2/VAC1 running lossless files and a markl style modding of the D5000. It would obviously be cheaper for me to upgrade my amp to get as close to the higher end stax's as possible, my question is - is it possible? I've never enjoyed so much speed, resolution and texture from any dynamic HP and I'm not sure it's even possible. Please help me! I've already sworn off singlepower and RSA (too expensive - may as well buy the stax if I'm looking at something like the B52 or Apache) and have a sick penchant for SS analyticality and detail. I'm one of those neutral/detail freaks.

I guess I should add - Moon audio sells the 4070 combo for $1675+ shipping, so to be fair let's keep the amp's cost down to about $1000.

Cheers!

Answer: not for the same cost... not even close.

Answer to price dilemma (although a bit riskier perhaps): pricejapan.com (3050A for ~$900 shipped), or used.

My suggestion to you is that you stay small for a while, and then go as big as you can afford. HeadAmp is coming out with a hybrid stat amp around the end of this year (~$3k), and I know WooAudio is coming out with a more high end stat amp, too (also ~$3k range). Also, some form of the Blue Hawaii will be a HeadAmp staple in the future, so you could also wait for that. Things are looking good for people who are willing to wait a while.

Jul 22, 2008 at 9:18 AM Post #3 of 17
I am sure they can!
In the end it all depends which sound signature you prefer, and how deep pockets you have.

Some find a relative cheap Stax SR-X/MK3 and SRD-7 to beat "all" dynamic rigs. While others find a Sennheiser HD650 and "cheap amp" to beat "all" electrostatic rigs.
That Stax is damn expensive I mostly false imo. They sure can be expensive ($1500-1800), just like dynamic headphones. But a really great system can also be had new for less than $500. Including dedicated amplifier.
Not to mention vintage 'phones...

Jul 22, 2008 at 12:27 PM Post #4 of 17
Thanks guys. As to your post KRM, I have to say that I've owned a whole lot of dynamic rigs, etc. and am quite happy with my setup right now, it's just that some of the fine detail in my current rig still mushes, and that the bass 'slam' in my dynamic rigs can mask the bass texture. I'm not sure if it's my amp and/or my headphones that are the main culprit. I assume its my amp b/c I know the design intimately as well as its flaws, but it could also be that the amp is perfect and that I've reached the limits of the headphones/source anyway...see my dilemma?

Put another way - the Stax 2050 rig I'm using right now is essentially on par with my dynamic rig and it is only the 'basic' stax! I guess I am just curious as to whether the dynamic cans have reached their limit or if something like a GS-1 or lehmann BCL would bring the level up to at least the 404/006t level.

From what I've read, it seems like that isn't the case?

Jul 22, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Thanks guys. As to your post KRM, I have to say that I've owned a whole lot of dynamic rigs, etc. and am quite happy with my setup right now, it's just that some of the fine detail in my current rig still mushes, and that the bass 'slam' in my dynamic rigs can mask the bass texture. I'm not sure if it's my amp and/or my headphones that are the main culprit. I assume its my amp b/c I know the design intimately as well as its flaws, but it could also be that the amp is perfect and that I've reached the limits of the headphones/source anyway...see my dilemma?

Put another way - the Stax 2050 rig I'm using right now is essentially on par with my dynamic rig and it is only the 'basic' stax! I guess I am just curious as to whether the dynamic cans have reached their limit or if something like a GS-1 or lehmann BCL would bring the level up to at least the 404/006t level.

From what I've read, it seems like that isn't the case?

Have you tried the AD2000s?

Jul 22, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried the AD2000s?

not yet I haven't. Is it that much better than the D5000?

Jul 22, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

not yet I haven't. Is it that much better than the D5000?

That depends on your preferences... but... they sound a lot more similar to the Stax sound... than the D5000s. They're bass and lower mids are much more clear and tight, with good texture, while their mids and highs are also clear and detailed. Their sound is very fast. With the right set up to match them, you might be very pleased... if... you like the Stax sound.

By the way... the D5000s sound much better... with a low impedance, high current output amp - the X-CANv8 matches them particularly well. I doubt you'll think they sound "Stax-like" even then... but... they are much better with that amp, than my DV332.

I don't know if it is better with them than the KICAS... but... they're great with the X-CANv8.

Jul 22, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #8 of 17
Edit: retracted due to inaccuracy

I guess we all look for that 'nirvana' of sound - almost a holographic and perfectly accurate and complete representation of the original recording (IMO) - all without making ourselves homeless or hoplessly in debt in the process.

I've never had the pleasure of listening to a balanced system, or a top of the line electrostat system. I'm not necessarily looking for electrostats or an electrostat sound, but rather I'm looking to maximize timbre and micro-level detail/resolution from my music; to that end the electrostats seemed like a no-brainer except for the price (I'd have to sell my current gear at a loss, etc.), so I wanted to make sure I couldn't find the same level/type of performance in dynamic cans in this price range. What I'm hearing is that regardless of the can type, the cost for the level of performance I seek is the same...

Jul 23, 2008 at 6:18 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Their sound is very fast. With the right set up to match them, you might be very pleased... if... you like the Stax sound.

The actual driver is not as fast as electrostatic offerings - and thats where the liquid, extremely clear sound of Stax comes from...

Jul 23, 2008 at 10:37 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Since I'm MOT and a partner in Purity Audio, I've got to be careful about how I proceed here, so if I sound vague or aloof, that's the reason why. What I think I can safely say is that the KICAS puts out around the same power (based on specs I've read) as the X-can V8 overall.

I guess we all look for that 'nirvana' of sound - almost a holographic and perfectly accurate and complete representation of the original recording (IMO) - all without making ourselves homeless or hoplessly in debt in the process.

I've never had the pleasure of listening to a balanced system, or a top of the line electrostat system. I'm not necessarily looking for electrostats or an electrostat sound, but rather I'm looking to maximize timbre and micro-level detail/resolution from my music; to that end the electrostats seemed like a no-brainer except for the price (I'd have to sell my current gear at a loss, etc.), so I wanted to make sure I couldn't find the same level/type of performance in dynamic cans in this price range. What I'm hearing is that regardless of the can type, the cost for the level of performance I seek is the same...

So the KICAS amp puts out about 1.3 watts max power, as the v8?

Perhaps, I'll have to try it to see how it compares with the D5000s.

By the way... my D5000s are beginning to present an incredibly detailed, refined resolution - that my other phones don't quite match right now. Somewhat, like what I imagine the Stax sound like. And... that's with my DV332. Pretty amazing actually!

They don't reflect the speed of the AD2000s, but the very fine detail and texture is phenomenal!

Jul 23, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #13 of 17
Sorry to thread crap, but since I'm the OP, I guess we can all throw me some slack, right?
biggrin.gif

Anyway, I have the opportunity to grab a 3030 system and am wondering how it compares with the new 3050A systems offered. The unit is a USA unit, FWIW. I know that the amps have changed (313 to 323A), but other than that? Is the sound different?

Jul 23, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by argentum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gradofan is it due to DV 332 tube rolling or additional head phone burn in ?

I don't know. It could be. But... I'm using the same Svets and Mullard/Phillips 8100s I was using last week - though, I suppose it could be additional burn in of all the components, or the tubes. I switched to the Mullard/Phillips from the Tung Sols about a week, of so, ago. With gradual burn in, I suppose it could be the Mullard/Phillips tubes.

But... the D5000s just seem to be becoming so much more refined, detailed and textured than they were previously. A bit like... before, you could hear the brushes on cymbals sound somewhat shimmery... but now you can hear the individual brush fibers on the cymbals with space around them and they sound more shimmery - a bit of an exaggeration, but that's the nature of the improvement.

My Senns don't have that same degree of very fine resolution... yet, they also sound exceptional.

Jul 23, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Sorry to thread crap, but since I'm the OP, I guess we can all throw me some slack, right?
biggrin.gif

Anyway, I have the opportunity to grab a 3030 system and am wondering how it compares with the new 3050A systems offered. The unit is a USA unit, FWIW. I know that the amps have changed (313 to 323A), but other than that? Is the sound different?

Check with: stax@yamasinc.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back