Can connector plugs alternate?
Feb 19, 2008 at 5:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ZephyrSapphire

Headphoneus Supremus
Let's say I'm using an power plug with an American connector to power my computer in Australia. Is it alright to use the power plug with a America-to-Australian Adapter? Will the connector melt or something?
frown.gif

Mar 13, 2008 at 8:28 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's say I'm using an power plug with an American connector to power my computer in Australia. Is it alright to use the power plug with a America-to-Australian Adapter? Will the connector melt or something?
frown.gif

Hi Zephyr' - If Aussie power is the same as USA 110v60c you should only need a amer to aussie power plug adaptor. But, I would suggest to be super safe - Don't want you computer doing the "I'm Dieing Dance" - Check with you computer mfg and/or seller to be sure. Hope this helps.

best,

angel

Mar 13, 2008 at 10:00 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

Nothing of that sort should happen.

If it were me though, I would re-terminate the cable with an Australian-compatible plug.

Mar 13, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #4 of 6
What type of power do they use in Australia? I thought they used 240V? In that case you would need a transformer, a voltage converter (integrated curcuit type) should only be used for small appliances. The transformer will also need to be rated powerful enough to power the computer. It's usually recommended that you get a transformer that is rated 20% more powerful than the device(s) that you are powering.

You could easily destroy either device without the correct usage.

Mar 13, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by UseName /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What type of power do they use in Australia? I thought they used 240V? In that case you would need a transformer, a voltage converter (integrated curcuit type) should only be used for small appliances. The transformer will also need to be rated powerful enough to power the computer. It's usually recommended that you get a transformer that is rated 20% more powerful than the device(s) that you are powering.

You could easily destroy either device without the correct usage.

The OP is only talking about using a power cable with a US male plug (in an Australian environment). The PC he is connecting to the mains with said power cable should be compatible with any mains input voltage (AFAIK all PC PSUs are capable of this). So no need for a transformer. A simple plug converter will do; re-terminating to an Australian plug is an even cleaner/tidier idea.

Regards.

Mar 14, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The OP is only talking about using a power cable with a US male plug (in an Australian environment). The PC he is connecting to the mains with said power cable should be compatible with any mains input voltage (AFAIK all PC PSUs are capable of this). So no need for a transformer. A simple plug converter will do; re-terminating to an Australian plug is an even cleaner/tidier idea.

Regards.

How is it i missread ever post on this board?

Just be sure to switch the voltage on the PSU, if it is not automatic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back