Can brand new headphones cause an amp to run hotter than normal till they burn in?
Jul 17, 2014 at 12:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dfarina

500+ Head-Fier
I know this whole headphone burn-in subject has been beaten to death,but I just observed something with my brand new Audeze LCD-2 headphones.Straight out of the box I kept the headphones at the same volume for the first 6 hours of usage,I noticed about a half an hour into it that my Yulong DA8 was very hot on the top of the case,hotter than I had ever felt.It seemed to stay that way for a couple hours,now after 6 hours it is quite a bit cooler,maybe just slightly warmer than normal.Could this be part of the burn-in process,or more due to the fact it was one of the hottest days of the year,and things cooled off towards the evening??

Jul 17, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #2 of 7
I think your last statement is most likely the answer.  Certain headphones and especially the volume you burn said headphones in at can cause an amp to heat up seemingly abnormally.  The energy has to come from somewhere and as you turn up the volume more power is being consumed.  The hotter the day out the harder it will be for the components to stay cool.

Jul 17, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #3 of 7
 I never even thought about burn-in as "getting hot" ^_^. now I'll avoid bright headphones at night.

so by order of ... no order at all:
- you got a new headphone so you're paying attention to stuff you usually don't care about.
- your other headphone is actually a lot easier to drive than this one.
- your other headphone has a lot more impedance so the energy was dissipated mostly by the headphone's impedance. but with the audeze and the impedance being low (for a non portable fullsize open headphone), the current flows into the headphone "too easily" and it gets up to the amp to get rid of the excess energy.
- it was hot outside

in any case, I really can't imagine any reason to link the amp getting hot and the headphone being new.

Jul 17, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #4 of 7
I know this whole headphone burn-in subject has been beaten to death,but I just observed something with my brand new Audeze LCD-2 headphones.Straight out of the box I kept the headphones at the same volume for the first 6 hours of usage,I noticed about a half an hour into it that my Yulong DA8 was very hot on the top of the case,hotter than I had ever felt.It seemed to stay that way for a couple hours,now after 6 hours it is quite a bit cooler,maybe just slightly warmer than normal.Could this be part of the burn-in process...

No.

se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back