Can bipolar opamp just directly replaced by jfet opamp?
Jan 6, 2019 at 2:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Stanley chin

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,im I'm doing some upgrade project with my preamp,does anyone know if a bipolar opamp can just directly replace by jfet opamp? Because I've read alot that jfet opamp sounds better than bipolar opamp,is it true?because they have much lower noise.

Jan 6, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #2 of 3
Typically, a bipolar opamp is more aggressive with more detail. However, getting them to run stable is sometimes difficult. Often, it can come down to a particular PCB layout or even the power implementation. FET opamps are just the reverse. Adjacent component parts are not that critical. It's why it's so easy to roll FET opamps. Rolling bipolar opamps? No so much. You can very seldom, if ever, pop a bipolar opamp into a FET opamp circuit and expect it to operate, much less keep from blowing up. I'm not sure if the reverse is true, but chances are, it's not.

The best thing for you to do is to find out what opamp you have now. Look up the data sheet, then compare it to a data sheet from a typical FET opamp like the OPA2132/4. (It goes without saying that you need to be sure if the opamps are single or dual channel.) Both data sheets should have recommended application circuit diagrams. If the voltages, resistors and capacitors are similar, then there may be a chance. Just stand by the power switch when you do it and use your nose to smell for burning plastic. :)

Jan 6, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #3 of 3
Typically, a bipolar opamp is more aggressive with more detail. However, getting them to run stable is sometimes difficult. Often, it can come down to a particular PCB layout or even the power implementation. FET opamps are just the reverse. Adjacent component parts are not that critical. It's why it's so easy to roll FET opamps. Rolling bipolar opamps? No so much. You can very seldom, if ever, pop a bipolar opamp into a FET opamp circuit and expect it to operate, much less keep from blowing up. I'm not sure if the reverse is true, but chances are, it's not.

The best thing for you to do is to find out what opamp you have now. Look up the data sheet, then compare it to a data sheet from a typical FET opamp like the OPA2132/4. (It goes without saying that you need to be sure if the opamps are single or dual channel.) Both data sheets should have recommended application circuit diagrams. If the voltages, resistors and capacitors are similar, then there may be a chance. Just stand by the power switch when you do it and use your nose to smell for burning plastic. :)
Yes, I'm planning change the muses02 to lme49720ha,which are very well reviewed or maybe lme49990.yes I'm finding the best sounding dual channel op amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back