can binaural recordings be used as "reference" ?
Mar 2, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #2 of 8
I'm new to the world of Binaural Recordings, and so far I love them. But looking at what I know so far. I'd say no, you can't use them as great reference for rating the headphones. It's almost not fair. I like to use a track that I know inside and out so I can do a fair A/B test. That way I can know that it's not just the cool affects of the recording but actually the headphone. Just my 2 cents.

Mar 3, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #4 of 8
Actually there are a few binaural CDs out there that are reference quality. I reviewed one of them a while back.

I also had a thread where I posted a list of great binaural recordings.

Mar 3, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #5 of 8
ya, listen to pearl jam's Binaural album...great reference
wink.gif

Mar 4, 2007 at 6:52 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by newgnr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ya, listen to pearl jam's Binaural album...great reference
wink.gif

I really wouldn't recommend that.
biggrin.gif

Try looking for CDs released by STAX (the company that makes headphones). Also, look for recordings that use the Neumann (SP?) head recording dummy. Among the best I have ever heard in binaural.

Mar 4, 2007 at 7:05 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by forsberg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is in specific to the recent post about the ultrasone reference cd.

I ask because they sound so good out of any headphones, so I don't know if these "super soundstage" tracks should really be a good test to determine how great a headphone is.

i hear what you're saying, and there is merit to that approach. if you have a track that is so good that it will make a koss clip sound like an Orpheus, that's not exactly that helpful a track for comparo purposes. perhaps better is something that is more "borderline" that craps out with bad rigs, but sings with good ones. That way your test track can help you spot differences more quickly than a track that bulldozes your senses with its awesomeness.

Mar 4, 2007 at 7:13 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i hear what you're saying, and there is merit to that approach. if you have a track that is so good that it will make a koss clip sound like an Orpheus, that's not exactly that helpful a track for comparo purposes. perhaps better is something that is more "borderline" that craps out with bad rigs, but sings with good ones. That way your test track can help you spot differences more quickly than a track that bulldozes your senses with its awesomeness.

I agree. There are classical binaural tracks that are great for this. I guess it depends on a lot of factors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back