Can audio recievers be used as an amplifer??
Apr 25, 2006 at 12:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Jesse40902

100+ Head-Fier
I have the yamaha htr5740 reciever which is used to watch 5.1 movies....Either way, can I connect my source ( creative zen vision) to my reciever and then connect my headphones to my reciever? Will my reciever act as an amplifer or it will do nothing but waste my time?

I think i need a mini to RCa plug to connect my creative player and audio reciever.

Apr 25, 2006 at 12:16 AM Post #2 of 5
I've got the same receiver.

Best thing to do would be to use the line out from the ZVM dock, hook it up using a 1/8" to RCA cable to the front AV-AUX-input, then plug your headphones into the headphone out.

The receiver will act as a headphone amp. Whether the headphone amp circuit in the receiver is any good, that is what determines whether its a waste of time or not.

Apr 25, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #4 of 5
I cannot say for sure as I have just started experimenting with my receiver as an amplifier but I would think if you used the line out on your receiver (I think all receivers have a RCA out). Using a RCA to mini cable you can connect your headphone to the RCA out should be better than using the headphone out jack.

For the input, you should be able to connect this to the AUX in or other inputs using the mini-to-RCA cable you listed above.

Depending on your headphone connector size (1/8 or 1/4) you may need a mini-1/4 adapter also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back