Can APE files be split?
Dec 17, 2005 at 3:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

humanflyz

Headphoneus Supremus
My friend ripped one of his Beatles CDs into APE, but he ripped it in such a way that the entire CD is one APE file. Is there a way to convert that one APE file into individual files in which each file is a separate track? (aside from burning the APE into a CD and re-ripping it into individual tracks)

Dec 17, 2005 at 5:13 AM Post #2 of 6
If you want to play the individual tracks then you can use a cue sheet without having to split.

If you really want to split the file into the tracks you can convert it to wav and then use a sound editor to cut that into pieces. Once you are done with that you can encode it in APE.

There are a couple of free WAV editors avaiable to do the cutting.

Older versions of cooledit and the media editor that comes with Jriver Media Center can load ape files directly.

Cheers

Thomas

Dec 17, 2005 at 9:59 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz
My friend ripped one of his Beatles CDs into APE, but he ripped it in such a way that the entire CD is one APE file. Is there a way to convert that one APE file into individual files in which each file is a separate track? (aside from burning the APE into a CD and re-ripping it into individual tracks)

If you have a big music file and no cue sheet, you can try and find it in cuesheet heaven. It has saved me a lot of typing...

Also, there is no need to convert to WAV in order to split; I used to waste time doing that until I discovered a neat freeware utility called "Cue Splitter". I have used it to split big MP3, APE and FLAC files with cue sheets and it works every time. It even writes the tags for the individual songs based on the cue sheet and you can customize the file names. You can download it at http://www.enfis.it/details.php?id=42.

Hope it helps.

Dec 18, 2005 at 10:48 AM Post #6 of 6
Boy, that cue splitter works!!. For some reason, it won't open my ape files, but after converting them to flac with foobar, they split fine. Thanks!!.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back