Can anyone tell us about the new SMSL M6?
Jan 12, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #46 of 52
I just received mine. Should I set MacOS for 32bit or less? I'll be doing the output impedance mod tomorrow and I'll report back on the audio quality (to the extent that I can with 598s).

Apr 3, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #49 of 52
When u believe it then u will hear it simple as it is , a dac is a 2 euro chip lol it just convert the signal. Lol hype fi they was right with morons here.

D/A chips have different characteristics.  They are silicon converting digital data to analog.  The bit depth accuracy is limited on all chips.  It's old data, but anything beyond the first 13 bits is noise in these chips.  Sorry, those 24 bit sources don't do anything since no D/A chip can actually convert those extra 8 bits to anything meaningful.  Some chips are better/worse than this so yes, the chipset matters.  And keep in mind, it is still an audio source.  That conversion has to happen and to say that the analog portion of DA chips are all the same is foolish nonsense because by that logic all analog amps are the same.

May 30, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #51 of 52
Whether or not the sound of one DAC or another will sound better than another is a separate discussion from the qualities of the SMSL M6. I have an M6 and an M8 from SMSL. The M8 is a much better DAC. Greater detail and sound stage, but the M6 is a very pleasant and good valued DAC with moderate powered headphone amp. For the $ you can't beat it. For absolute power and detail, you won't feel left out, but it can't compare in power to a real headphone amp from Bryston or similar, but that would be nearly 10 times the cost. The M6 is a nice sounding DAC, but a bit on the harsh sounding. The other issue is the quality control and the silly switching. The usb qualities of the M8 are pretty lousy. You will have to use a better power supply and better USB converter.

Aug 31, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #52 of 52
Whether or not the sound of one DAC or another will sound better than another is a separate discussion from the qualities of the SMSL M6. I have an M6 and an M8 from SMSL. The M8 is a much better DAC. Greater detail and sound stage, but the M6 is a very pleasant and good valued DAC with moderate powered headphone amp. For the $ you can't beat it. For absolute power and detail, you won't feel left out, but it can't compare in power to a real headphone amp from Bryston or similar, but that would be nearly 10 times the cost. The M6 is a nice sounding DAC, but a bit on the harsh sounding. The other issue is the quality control and the silly switching. The usb qualities of the M8 are pretty lousy. You will have to use a better power supply and better USB converter.
USB qualities?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back