Can anyone tell me if there are any cheap digital cd players
Nov 2, 2009 at 10:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Baird GoW

500+ Head-Fier
Can anyone tell me if there are any cheap decent digital cd players (hopefully under $100). I need one with coaxial or usb output to connect to my Audio GD-Compass.

Nov 2, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #2 of 9
I would like to know this as well

Nov 2, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #3 of 9
When not using my comp, I personally use my Oppo 981 DVD player. It's a jack of all trades and can play DVD-A, SACD, and Redbook. It has Optical and Coaxial out (in addition to HDMI), and I picked mine up from Woot for $100 about half a year ago. You can probably get one used for about the same. It's a great product, probably the greatest DVD player ever made IMO

Nov 4, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #6 of 9
Thanks for the replies. im still looking so if anyone else has more to add feel free

Nov 4, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #7 of 9
I would not look for one specific model. Search around ebay and the likes for a neat looking player with digital out. There are tons of them out there. It seems silly to limit yourself to only one player.

Nov 5, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #8 of 9
The inexpensive Toshiba DVD players have been audio favs in other corners of the internet. A couple of years ago a whole bunch of folks were actively modding them. The most basic (SD-4100) is $45 at Best Buy. It has a digital out. Folks like this player because of the decent audio dacs, which I presume you won't be using. Some Samsung models use the same electronics as the Toshibas, but look a little fancier and are still under $100. Generally more $$ just gets you fancier video features and maybe a prettier box.

I have an older 5 channel version of the Toshiba that I picked up at a pawn shop for $20. It sounds awfully good, but I prefer my old 1991 Philips and it's TDA1541A dac for audio. It also has a quieter transport than any newer player I've heard (below $1000) I'm sure a few mods would have it competing well with fancy stuff, but I don't feel the need to worry about it for DVD use.

The Toshibas are a very popular, so it isn't difficult to find them. As with all consumer electronics, reliability is an issue. But if it dies out of warranty, another isn't terribly expensive. I'd avoid the generic brands unless you want to buy three. Once you get to a quasi-name brand like Toshiba, the build quality is about as decent as you'll find until you spend multiple hundreds.

I also like the Sony refurbished site for cheap players, but I don't think you'll find a digital output.

Paul J.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back