Can anyone suggest a good dirt cheap CD player that I can modify?
Jul 2, 2001 at 2:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tooler

New Head-Fier
I hate to post a "what's the best.." question, but I'm looking for a good cheap used CD player that I can rip open and tweak for the hell of it. If I can find it on Ebay for about $100, it's perfect.

Videoshielded suggested the Samsung DVD-709 but I don't think DVD players support CDRs. TNT-Audio has some great articles on tweaking Marantz CD players but apparently they're a little too warm for my tastes. I'd like a player that's cold and detailed and I want to be able to extract as much dynamic impact as I can from a cheap player after some mods. I'll use it to listen to hardcore and metal; I'll worry about classical later.

I'm hesitant to go into stores to test CD players myself because I'd feel obligated to buy there at full price if I wasted a salesman's time. I just need someone to point me in a general direction toward the sound I'm looking for at a cheap price, and I can tweak the sound to my taste later.

Jul 2, 2001 at 3:49 PM Post #2 of 6
Some (maybe even many) DVD players do read CDRs. You should look into it, maybe a search on www.deja.com (now Google.com) to see if anyone else uses CDRs with a DVD player of a particular model, or ask Videoshielded himself.

Jul 2, 2001 at 4:44 PM Post #3 of 6
From my earlier research, it's hit-or-miss with the DVD-709 when it comes to CDRs. Why chance it? There are better transports out there.

Jul 2, 2001 at 7:10 PM Post #4 of 6
Sorry, but I don't have any CDR's, so I can't say how the dvd709 does where they are concerned.

I am still very happy with my modified 709 for CD use. If anybody's interested, there are a bunch of them on EBAY right now for $89, open box from Hi Fi.com. I'm going to pick up another one and modify it, to keep as a spare for the day when one of my other players dies. This thing rules the price category. If anybody wants the spreadsheat with the DIY mods, email me.

Jul 4, 2001 at 7:13 PM Post #5 of 6
Okay, I think I'll just get one of the Samsung 709s. All the CD players I want to modify go for $2-300 used. This will last me long enough so I can save up some money and audition the players I'm interested in.

Videoshielded, do you remember if that company that was selling remanufactured units on Ebay has a website? They don't have any up for auction right now.

Jul 5, 2001 at 9:17 PM Post #6 of 6
I've picked up two from Hifi.com for $89 each, through EBay. I checked their web site, and they don't seem to have any listed there.

You just missed a huge raft of them from a couple different sellers on EBay. If you can wait about ten days, they'll relist them in a bunch, I'm pretty sure. They seem to list a batch every ten days or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back