Can anyone shed some light on the recent 400i price drop?
Dec 26, 2016 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

bosstonez

New Head-Fier
So I've been eyeballing some Hifiman RE 400i's for a while, thinking maybe I'll sell a couple pairs and get some planar wonderfulness, and just a few days ago I was poking around amazon.ca(I'm in Canada), and I see that they've gone down from $650 to $350, and the same thing on amazon.com- down to $250 from $500. 

And I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on that. From going to Hifiman's store I can see they're selling refurbished 400i's for $229 USD, and I'm wondering if they released a bunch of refurbished units into the wild and people are flooding the market on Amazon by selling them as new. 

I mean I bought some this morning, and when they arrive I might contact Hifiman directly and grill them about the history of the serial number; when was it sold, and where, etc. 

But can anyone comment on why there would be a price drop? Seems there are several dozen sellers with the new low price. 

Maybe I've been under a rock for a while...

Dec 26, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #2 of 5
  So I've been eyeballing some Hifiman RE 400i's for a while, thinking maybe I'll sell a couple pairs and get some planar wonderfulness, and just a few days ago I was poking around amazon.ca(I'm in Canada), and I see that they've gone down from $650 to $350, and the same thing on amazon.com- down to $250 from $500. 

And I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on that. From going to Hifiman's store I can see they're selling refurbished 400i's for $229 USD, and I'm wondering if they released a bunch of refurbished units into the wild and people are flooding the market on Amazon by selling them as new. 

I mean I bought some this morning, and when they arrive I might contact Hifiman directly and grill them about the history of the serial number; when was it sold, and where, etc. 

But can anyone comment on why there would be a price drop? Seems there are several dozen sellers with the new low price. 

Maybe I've been under a rock for a while...

If it's a reputable seller / store then you should be ok from refurbs. Hopefully they have seals on packages. Beyers don't and it made me nervous, but i use amazon directly and stores with high ratings.

I got a sony once and worried it was refurb, but it was sealed and read refurbs usually dont come in original packaging always or have seal.

But if you can score 400i for that price, most of the reviews i come across are putting them at hd600 level, and many strong voices in the game saying its better so, for a legendary can competitor, champion against a legend can those are bargain prices

i was a bit late on the drop and had some other cans on my list or i would've snapped them up, but having other similar, no need

also the ways t90s, beyers, sennies, and massdrop, its headphone bargain time so im not surprised

the competition is fiercer than ever

Dec 27, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #3 of 5
You make some good points! It could just be new competitive pricing, or maybe clearing stock for a new model. I wouldn't be surprised if by March there was a new 400 series model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back