can anyone recommend me some dark sounding classical/orechestra/choir?
Nov 13, 2008 at 6:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

sketchr

100+ Head-Fier
trying to find some dark sounding stuff with a classical type of execution. thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 13, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #2 of 15
Hmmm not sure what you mean with 'dark', but if you're looking for brooding, melancholy orchestral music then I'd recommend 'Memoryhouse' and 'Blue Notebooks' by Max Richter. Not a lot of 'happy' going on there. His music has a strong cinematic feel to it.

Also check out the instrumentals on the Cradle of Filth albums.

Nov 13, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #3 of 15
Not very sure here either about the concept of "dark" but the first thing that came to mind were the Ligeti's choral works. Pay a listen to the samples at Amazon
Those are the a capella works, other nice work by Ligeti with some obscure music is his Requiem. IIRC some part of it was used on the 2001 Space Odyssey film soundtrack.

Nov 13, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Surprised no one mentioned Requiems and Missa Solemnises (Missae Solemnis? Lol. No idea.)

Looks like you didn't read completely my post hahaha
wink.gif

Nov 13, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like you didn't read completely my post hahaha
wink.gif

LOL. My reply-to-thread screen must've been open for ages before I actually posted!
biggrin.gif

Nov 17, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #9 of 15
Mahler's Das Klagende Lied would be a good one as well.

Nov 17, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #10 of 15
Not a huge classical buff, but Ive been really enjoying Dustin O'Halloran's "Piano Solos". Lonely piano compositions, I guess it fits the bill pretty well.

Nov 17, 2008 at 7:52 AM Post #11 of 15
rachmaninov's trio elegiaque #1 and 2 have some good dark flavors throughout them

some of the work on the Diablo II soundtrack - especially the expansion pack (lord of destruction) which has like five tracks of it's own - I think this will fit very well

Dec 3, 2008 at 11:12 AM Post #13 of 15
Danny Elfman - Serenada Schizophrana.

I also suspect a lot of Philip Glass soundtracks will pretty much hit a home-run with you. Dark & melancholic. Personal favorites are:
The Hours OST
Notes On A Scandal OST
The Illusionist OST
Dracula (performed by Kronos Quartet)

Dec 6, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #14 of 15
Chris Botti-Andante from Sonata #2 in A minor for violin

Enjoy!

Dec 6, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #15 of 15
Edvard Grieg - Peer Gynt - there's a reason Fritz Lang chose this as the murderer's theme in "M".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back