Can anyone recommend a book on understanding the nuances of building a great audio system?
Apr 27, 2010 at 12:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Roadsong

New Head-Fier
Hey folks,

I'm getting back into the wonderful world of audio after having to take a break from it for several years due to financial considerations. Admittedly, I am still a couple years away from being able to build a system of moderate quality, and am presently relegated to listening to my music via a Clip+ as my source......talk about being a budget audiophile!

Regardless of my present situation, I want to start learning the "language" of audio so that when I am again in a position to invest in quality components I will be able to make informed choices about which components I buy -- and WHY I am investing my money in these components.

Previously, I naively threw thousands upon thousands of dollars out the window buying expensive components (now long gone) based entirely upon the sales person's savvy pitch, my silly thinking that "bigger is better", and absolutely zero technical knowledge of what I was buying. The results were terrible, and a small fortune was wasted.

Which brings me to the subject of asking for a recommendation on the title of some books that may demystify all the technical jargon and empower me to become an informed buyer of quality components at a reasonable cost (a high quality music oriented system for under $10k -- is under $5k possible?). If no titles to books come to mind, can anyone recommend internet resources for me to dig into that will sate my desire to understand the technical side of audio?

Thanks in advance for all answers! I envy all of you who already possess this knowledge and who overwhelm me with their expertise when I read their posts!

Apr 27, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #2 of 12
Apr 27, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by cAsE sEnSiTiVe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HiFiBooks.com -- The Complete Guide to High-End Audio: Overview

I read the Amazon reviews on this book before creating the thread. Many of the reviewers slammed this book by stating that the author lacked a fundamental understanding of electricity.......from reading through these forums, technical conversations regarding electricity seem to be a big part of being able to understand the language of audio.....so, I was rather discouraged by the author of that book & decided to create the thread here to see if there are any alternative books..............now, if you own this book, and say that the Amazon reviewers were being elitists, I may just go back and buy the book.

Apr 27, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey folks,

I'm getting back into the wonderful world of audio after having to take a break from it for several years due to financial considerations. Admittedly, I am still a couple years away from being able to build a system of moderate quality, and am presently relegated to listening to my music via a Clip+ as my source......talk about being a budget audiophile!

Regardless of my present situation, I want to start learning the "language" of audio so that when I am again in a position to invest in quality components I will be able to make informed choices about which components I buy -- and WHY I am investing my money in these components.

Previously, I naively threw thousands upon thousands of dollars out the window buying expensive components (now long gone) based entirely upon the sales person's savvy pitch, my silly thinking that "bigger is better", and absolutely zero technical knowledge of what I was buying. The results were terrible, and a small fortune was wasted.

Which brings me to the subject of asking for a recommendation on the title of some books that may demystify all the technical jargon and empower me to become an informed buyer of quality components at a reasonable cost (a high quality music oriented system for under $10k -- is under $5k possible?). If no titles to books come to mind, can anyone recommend internet resources for me to dig into that will sate my desire to understand the technical side of audio?

Thanks in advance for all answers! I envy all of you who already possess this knowledge and who overwhelm me with their expertise when I read their posts!

First: Bying audio equipment is anything but investment
biggrin.gif

Second: Let your ears guide you! No books, no gurus! That's the only way to audio happiness. Some of us are unsatisfied by $$$$$$ systems, other are happy with their ipods. It's strictly personal.
Good luck!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 29, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #5 of 12
While these are not books, you may find them to be very helpful resources. The first is a massive index of just about everything to do with audio:

Glossary of Audio Terminology

The second is an an index of audiophile terms used to describe how a system sounds, which may help you to decipher some of the more flowery language used in equipment reviews.

Basic audiophile terms

You need to figure out what type of sound you are looking for. Do you prefer a sound with sparkling highs thats ultra detailed, or one that's smooth and rich? Or maybe something right down the middle? Do you enjoy hearing instruments in precise locations in space, and to feel like you are in the studio with the musicians, or do you prefer more of a "wall of sound" approach, where the soundstage stretches to the edges of the room and beyond? Is there a particular part of the frequency range that really gets your toes tapping? Kettle drums and upright basses maybe? Or the cello and acoustic guitar? Or would you prefer to be able to pick out the difference between a Zildjian and a Sabian clear as day? There really isn't a system that does everything (not for $5-10K anyway), so you need to figure out your tastes and find the equipment that works for you.

Beyond that, I would suggest putting the largest part of your budget towards your speakers or headphones, then your DAC, then your source (arguably N/A if using a computer as a source, as you really only need to spend a maximum of about $800 here) then give roughly equal weighting to your preamp and amp, or go integrated. If you do go with separates, how well they work together is important. This is just a general guide, and in some cases putting much heavier weighting on an amp as opposed to a DAC or source can really pay off. Depends on what you are looking for and the particular equipment. This weighting can also apply to performance as much as it do just the price tag. You don't need to spend $5K on an Alpha DAC if you're happy with the performance of an Audio-GD Ref 1.

Once you've spent most of your budget and you've got a handle on how your system sounds, then start experimenting with cables and power conditioning products. I'm not someone who thinks that zip-cord and $3 interconnects are as good as it gets, but it makes no sense to be looking at $500 interconnects when you have a $500 amplifier to connect them to.

Not all cables are created equal, and many simply do not justify their price tags. Others are giant killers. There's no substitute for experimentation.

TheCableCo and Audiogon are your friends.

Apr 29, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveBSC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once you've spent most of your budget and you've got a handle on how your system sounds, then start experimenting with cables and power conditioning products. I'm not someone who thinks that zip-cord and $3 interconnects are as good as it gets, but it makes no sense to be looking at $500 interconnects when you have a $500 amplifier to connect them to.

Why not experiment with swapping amplifiers and sources?

Apr 30, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not experiment with swapping amplifiers and sources?

I meant once you're done with all that. I don't subscribe to the idea of using cables as tone controls to alter the sound of a system that you're otherwise not happy with. Getting the components right should be done first, and then you can see if you can improve things a step further with cable and power upgrades.

Apr 30, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #8 of 12
Apr 30, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #9 of 12
"Get Better Sound" +1

May 1, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #12 of 12
Thanks for everyone's advice. I'm going to order the book Getting Better Sound, as well as read through the links provided in this thread by DaveBSC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back