Can anyone identify this component inside my iaudio U3?
Dec 30, 2007 at 2:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

stevenkelby

Headphoneus Supremus
I dropped it and the screen stopped working. I opened it up and found a piece has fallen off the PCB behind the screen. I don't even know what it is but if anyone can help me and I can find another one, I can solder another one in it's place and hopefully fix the problem.

As you can see there are supposed to be 6 of them at the bottom of the picture, but the bottom left one fell off. The PCB there is covered with sticky plastic so I could see the part just sitting there, loose. It's freaking tiny but I have a very sharp soldering tip so should be ok.

36220451864.jpg

Thanks a bunch for any advice or info.

Steve.

Dec 30, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #4 of 10
it is pretty clear that it is a resistor that goes there. (hence R3)

But I'm not sure if a part actually goes there. Are you 100% sure a part from there fell off.

Because those solder pads look fine and unused. If a part really did come from there, they would show damage.

Just because a pcb is silkscreened and solder masked for a component to go there, doesn't always mean the end design is supposed to have one there.

Dec 30, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it is pretty clear that it is a resistor that goes there. (hence R3)

But I'm not sure if a part actually goes there. Are you 100% sure a part from there fell off.

Because those solder pads look fine and unused. If a part really did come from there, they would show damage.

Just because a pcb is silkscreened and solder masked for a component to go there, doesn't always mean the end design is supposed to have one there.

Exactly.
And if the part did actually fall off from that spot it would most likely have numbers on it.
wink.gif

Dec 30, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #6 of 10
Thanks for the help LG. At least I know it's a resistor now. Obviously I have no education when it comes to these things.

There was a small part stuck to the plastic covering the PCB, right above that spot. It looked like the other parts, but I lost it now, fell on the floor somewhere and it's gone forever.

The pads do look like there are rings around them, like pools where flux has stained the PCB.

Here's a closer pic:

36222474466.jpg

Can I measure the other resistors with a multi meter to find the value I need, buy one somewhere and solder it in?

MisterX, none of those other parts have numbers on them.

Dec 30, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

MisterX, none of those other parts have numbers on them.

Yes, I can see that, I can also see the labels that are printed on the circuit board.
The labels suggest they are capacitors and SMD capacitors do not have numbers printed on them.
wink.gif

Dec 30, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can also see the labels that are printed on the circuit board.

Yeah, well apparently I couldn't!

I do now though, pretty obvious when you know they're there aren't they?

So it's a resistor as you guys said, now I just need the value. I'll search the floor, otherwise I'll have to find a schematic for the U3 I guess. Is it likely that a schematic would be available?

Dec 30, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

So it's a resistor as you guys said, now I just need the value.

No, the label on the circuit board suggests there could be a resistor installed there but as LawnGnome pointed out...it does not look like there ever was anything installed there (and it's not uncommon for manufacturers to revise a circuit like that after a product has been in production).

Here is an example I dug up from the Iaudiophile forum ---------->
http://www.coolhawk.com/iaudiophile....area_small.jpg

Look at all of the parts they left off the " X5"

Quote:

Is it likely that a schematic would be available?

Good question.
I would say it is about as likely as having someone come along,
posting a picture and saying... "hey there is a resistor installed there".
biggrin.gif

(google image search did not turn up anything useful)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back