Can anyone help with the Shanling STP-80?
Oct 9, 2006 at 3:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dr.morton

500+ Head-Fier
I just unpacked my Shanling STP-80 and listened to it for awhile.
Now I have some questions, maybe someone can help me out.

1. The blue LED of the left small tube is not working properly. Seems a bit like a loose contact. It is notas bright as the others with a occasional flicker to full strength. Is it just a minor problem of replacing the LED or can it mean that something is not alright with the amp (although it sounds ok)?

2. My power cable is UK only. So I use a normal PC cable which works fine. Would a HiFi cabe like the Zu birth be an improvement?

3. With my old Kenwood LSK 500 II speakers the detail is incredible but lacks some warmth and fullness. It is the amp or my crappy speakers
lambda.gif
?
Do you have a suggestion which speakers sounds good with the Shanling?

Oct 9, 2006 at 3:44 PM Post #2 of 5
I don't know anything about this amp but what do the blue light do? Are they an indicator of bias or power? Also, an amp takes a good 100 hours or more to settle in. It would not be surprising that it would not sound great in all areas out of the box. Speakers play a big part and I am not familiar with the ones you have. The last Kenwood speakers I had were from 1970, and while they weren't bad there have been many changes for the good since then.

Oct 9, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #4 of 5
Geez, yes I have seen that. Ok, well it is most likely loose as LED's tend to hold up for a very long time and the company you bought from doesn't have the best track record though many people like what they hear.

On the sound, you need to give it time. I think you will notice some real changes after a playing time of 100 plus hours. Enjoy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back