Can anyone help me with some Calc 2 problems?
Feb 17, 2004 at 4:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

princeclassic

100+ Head-Fier
ok, so i've got an exam in a few days and their are a couple practice problems that me and my roommate are really struggling with.

1. derivative of [(1+x^2)^inverse tan(x)]

2. intergral from 0 to 1 of (2x+1)/(x^2+1)

3. simplify sec(inverse cot(2x)) [the answer should be in terms of x...no trig functions]

any help is greatly appreciated...

Feb 17, 2004 at 5:16 AM Post #2 of 16
Solution to #2:

I separated the integrals into int (2x/(x^2 +1)) and int (1/(x^2+1)) I left out the limits until the end.

The second integral is easy, if you look at the inverse trig formulas thats just inverse tan and the first integral is done by doing a u substitution on the (x^2+1). The solution to the integration without the limits is ln(x^2 +1) + inverse tan x, and then put that through the limits.

The answer is ln 2 + pie/4.

Solution to #3:

I just did a triangle and figured out what the inverse cotangent of 2x looks like on a triangle. Just do the a^2+b^2 = c^2 rule to figure out what C is, which is the hypotenuse. Take the secant of that same angle on the triangle (hypotenuse/adjacent) and the answer is root(4x^2 + 1)/(2x)

I'm still working on the first one, but it involves implicit differentiation to let you know. You have to do a log function to get the inverse tan in front of the 1+x^2 but then you have to differentiate the y side as well. Hope this helps some.

Feb 17, 2004 at 5:19 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by psxguy85
You have to do a log function to get the inverse tan in front of the 1+x^2 but then you have to differentiate the y side as well. Hope this helps some.

Are you sure that one isn't actually a substitution of arc sins and cosines in place of the arc tangent? It's been too long since I did my math, I would have to think and I don't wanna!

Feb 17, 2004 at 5:21 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by gpalmer
Are you sure that one isn't actually a substitution of arc sins and cosines in place of the arc tangent? It's been too long since I did my math, I would have to think and I don't wanna!

I dunno, its just a suggestion I am giving, I don't know how to do it and thats why I didn't put a solution down.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2004 at 5:51 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by hop ham

[ln((x^2)+1)/((x^2)+1) + (2*x*invtan(x))/((x^2)+1)] *((x^2)+1) ^invtan(x)

TI89 skills

Good times. I figured out how to do that without the calculator, you do have to do implicit differentiation. That is what you get with the calculator ti-89 though. I'm not allowed to use ti-89 on my exams. SIGH!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2004 at 3:33 PM Post #12 of 16
Hop Ham, an engineer with a TI89?? cmon....I thought ALL engineers used HP48GX's. I'm not an engineer, but a physics undergrad and that RPN sure comes in handy!!

Feb 17, 2004 at 4:38 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by ECM
Hop Ham, an engineer with a TI89?? cmon....I thought ALL engineers used HP48GX's. I'm not an engineer, but a physics undergrad and that RPN sure comes in handy!!

I don't know anyone that uses an HP. I use an 86 though, there's something satisfying about working it out by hand (ok, maybe I spent all my calculator money on tubes).

Feb 17, 2004 at 11:55 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Born2bwire
I don't know anyone that uses an HP. I use an 86 though, there's something satisfying about working it out by hand (ok, maybe I spent all my calculator money on tubes).

The HP48 is an engineer's dream. Believe me, I've used it instead of my TI89 for every class I've taken, and it has performed wonderfully. (I'm a computer engineering student) I'm surprised you haven't seen anyone using one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back