can anyone help me? I have no idea what I'm doing
Sep 22, 2008 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

Gatto

1000+ Head-Fier
I want to buy a pair of akg k701 headphones, this would be my first pair of headphones that cost over 50-60 dollars. I have been reading reviews and everyone suggests a headphone amp but I have no idea what they are or what they are for or why they would make the headphones better. I have been trying to research but I haven't found much, I was hoping a forum would be a good place to go. Sorry if this is the wrong place for this
frown.gif
thanks

Sep 22, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #2 of 44
An amp provides the voltage and current necessary to move the driver. The wider the voltage swing, the more current is needed to control the movement accurately. A large voltage swing without strong current will sound loud but detail is lost and bass is boomy. Full sized hps need this power to make them perform to their capacity.

Sep 22, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #3 of 44
Sep 22, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #4 of 44
The K701s are going to need more power than that. They are one headphone that's a bit more amp dependent than most. I'm going to suggest you do some searches on this forum (use the advanced search feature and type in K701s then click on "threads only") and maybe in the headphone forum to see what other people are using. The one thing that's pretty important when buying good headphones, is taking a look at the system as a whole, and budget for what you need. This can be done is stages (get the headphones first, then work at amp, etc), get everything at once, or look at headphones that may not have the same needs as far as amps/sources etc to bring out their best. There are a lot of good choices any way you want to go.

oh...and welcome to head-fi.

Sep 22, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #5 of 44
thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif
I've always wanted go know about this stuff but never knew where to look

Sep 22, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #6 of 44
oh wow, it looks like most of the amps recommended cost over 200 dollars, that is for a tiny headphone amp? if I got that little honeytone one or one like it would it help anything? or should I not even bother with it and wait until I can get a really nice amp?

Sep 22, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #7 of 44
You've come to the right place. If you have a question, and just a warning, people will give you just enough different answers to confuse you further. Don't be afraid to ask more questions, look at people's gear profiles, find out what else they've listened to, and search a bit more. It can be a little overwhelming, but fun. Where do you live? If you can get to a meet (look in the meet forum), all the better. You'll get a chance to hear lots of things, and even more importantly, meet a bunch of people who mostly like to have fun and listen to music. Good luck.

Sep 22, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #8 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh wow, it looks like most of the amps recommended cost over 200 dollars, that is for a tiny headphone amp? if I got that little honeytone one or one like it would it help anything? or should I not even bother with it and wait until I can get a really nice amp?

I personally would recommend saving your money, and taking a little time to do some looking around. You've chosen a reference quality headphone. Get a feel for the different options available, and don't just jump at the first thing. You can get good budget amps, but a $25 amp isn't really going to do those headphones justice. The FS forum here may be a good place to get a good deal, if you don't mind buying used, and you can check the feedback threads of sellers. Most people here are really honest and take care of their gear. You won't be able to post in it right away, but if you see something you're interested in, you can always send a pm to the seller. If you haven't already purchased the 701s, you might find them there as well and save yourself some money.

Sep 22, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #9 of 44
It depends on what your source is. If you will be plugging it into the headphone out of a receiver or standard desktop CD player (those tend to have the larger 1/4" connector like the K701), you are set for now. While their headphone section is an afterthought and will not be quite as good as a dedicated headphone amp, it should still be sufficient. You really need the amp if you are using a low-power source like an iPod or a laptop computer's headphone out (those usually have the smaller 3.5mm connector).

One misconception is that amplification is primarily about volume. Sure, an amp can usually drive headphones at higher volumes, but the primary advantage is control. When your amp sends current into the headphones to move the magnetic coils, there is an action/reaction effect and the headphones send an opposite current back. A solid amp will shrug off that current, a weak one will not and the sound will not be as tightly controlled as it should, among other things the frequency response will not be as crisp and the phones will sound dull. This is known as the amplifier's damping factor, primarily related to the amp's output impedance, unfortunately few amp manufacturers quote their products' damping factor.

Many people on Head-Fi are afflicted with upgraditis, and if you wait long enough you will find a decent amp up for sale at a reasonable price. I myself use a Musical Fidelity XCan V3 with my K701, but there are many others available (specially from China) at lower prices. You should still expect to spend at least 50% of your headphones' price on amplification (once again, if you don't already have a headphone out on your receiver or CD player).

Sep 22, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #10 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by majid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It depends on what your source is. If you will be plugging it into the headphone out of a receiver or standard desktop CD player (those tend to have the larger 1/4" connector like the K701), you are set for now. While their headphone section is an afterthought and will not be quite as good as a dedicated headphone amp, it should still be sufficient. You really need the amp if you are using a low-power source like an iPod or a laptop computer's headphone out (those usually have the smaller 3.5mm connector).

do the headphones come with an adapter to fit them into an ipod or a laptop?

Sep 22, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #12 of 44
Quote:

do the headphones come with an adapter to fit them into an ipod or a laptop?

Don't think my K701's came with the adapter. And even if it did, you aren't going to be happy with the sound directly out of an iPod or laptop....they have nowhere near the amount of power required to drive the K701's.

I'd recommend setting your sights a bit lower for the headphones so you can spend more money on a proper headphone amp. That $25 amp you linked to also isn't going to be anywhere near as powerful as what the K701's require.

Sep 22, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #13 of 44
Sep 22, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #14 of 44
My K701s sound really bad out of my iPod, but simply wonderful out of my $200 headphone amp. I cannot recommend them without an amplifier of some sort. Right out of a laptop or iPod they're not worth their price.

I think you should either save for a proper amp, or consider a less demanding headphone. It took me over a year of research and buying/selling to get my K701, and I'm very happy with it. Don't be afraid to buy some used items from the FS (For Sale) section of this forum -- if you take care of it you can usually sell it for as much as you bought it for.

Good on you for asking questions and reading reviews. I'm sure you'll find something that fits your tastes and your budget before too long.

Sep 22, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #15 of 44
Quote:

what about this amp? PenguinAmp.com -

The Penguin amp is a great little amp, but that 9volt doesn't have the current to properly drive those big k701s. I have yet to hear a portable amp, even a really great portable amp like the ~$400 Headamp Pico, drive the K701s with the authority of a good desktop amp. If you're thinking about using the K701s portably.... I wouldn't. You might like walking around with giant headphones that everyone around you can hear and that fall off if you urn you head too fast, but I don't particularly. Sorry for all the bubble-bursting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back