can anyone help a newb??amp question
May 12, 2008 at 6:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

nycrob515

Head-Fier
Hey, I just wanted to know how much influence an amp, portable amp specifically, has on the quality of sound. Seriously... is it worth it to buy one? Where is the line between crap and quality in dealing with price....I'am using etymotic hf2 and would enjoy a little more lows.....should i just get a pair of vibes or can something be done. Setting the eq on bass booster makes them sound like they are going to explode. Any info would be great.....
Thank you,
Rob

May 12, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #2 of 6
This is a question for the Amps forum, but yes, amplifiers allow for subtle tweaking of the sound. The guys in the other forum will probably have more recommendations specific to your headphones and system. What kind of source are you using (CDP, sound card, etc.)?

May 13, 2008 at 8:04 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CDP = CD player. You might want to look into a USB DAC/amp, which should improve the sound quality a great deal. For example, the E-MU 0202 USB or 0404 USB. Less expensive solutions exist, like the Trends Audio UD-10.

A friend of mine just brought a EMU0202 and he loves it. He uses it with his home stereo and PC. I would definitely look into the source first as infinitesymphony mentioned. Then you can move on to amps
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back