Can anyone give amp/dac advice for Audio Technica A900X
Dec 9, 2011 at 9:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Arion

100+ Head-Fier
I am going to be buying the A900X soon but before I do I want to know a good Amp that I am going to be purchasing along with the A900X. I know the A900x doesn't need a amp as it's only 42 ohms but I want to get the best experience out of the headphones with an amp. This is my first pair of "Audiophile" headphones so I dont know a good amp to get it can be a desktop or portable I would say my budget is around $300. I have been looking at the Matrix M-Stage but I would really appreciate it if I could get some more suggestions for amps.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Dec 10, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #4 of 12
Fiio E10 USB/DAC/Headphone amplifier, gets it's digital feed from a USB port.
Fiio E11 portable headphone amplifier.

Audio Technica ATH 500/700/900 series headphones usually do not benefit greatly from headphone amplifiers.
ATHs usually sound good with whatever they are plugged into.
Personally I would use a headphone amplifier with them or any headphone.

Dec 10, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #5 of 12
Thanks for the suggestions. I have also heard about the matrix m-Stage and was wondering how that is also the maverick audio tubemagic d1 I am curious to how that is as well

Dec 10, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I have also heard about the matrix m-Stage and was wondering how that is also the maverick audio tubemagic d1 I am curious to how that is as well

They're all pretty much identical given that they share the same op-amp which is easily replaceable. You won't start to hear a sound quality difference until you move up to something completely discrete like the PS Audio DLIII, W4S DAC and possibly the new Bitfrost.

Dec 10, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
They're all pretty much identical given that they share the same op-amp which is easily replaceable. You won't start to hear a sound quality difference until you move up to something completely discrete like the PS Audio DLIII, W4S DAC and possibly the new Bitfrost.

Do you mean I wouldn't hear a sound quality difference in the Headphones with either of those or are you saying the Amps sound practically the same?

Dec 10, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #8 of 12
The amps sound practically the same. When you read reviews on these not only are they embellished but the described sound is that of the $5 op-amp and not the amp built around it. To reiterate I'm saying buy the cheapest desktop amp/DAC going and upgrade when you have more demanding phones.

Dec 10, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
The amps sound practically the same. When you read reviews on these not only are they embellished but the described sound is that of the $5 op-amp and not the amp built around it. To reiterate I'm saying buy the cheapest desktop amp/DAC going and upgrade when you have more demanding phones.

So is the amp that you recommended the best for the amount of money? Or should I go for a Fiio amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back