can anyone get grado in sydney, Australia?
Jan 17, 2002 at 7:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

hububu

New Head-Fier
Can anyone get grado in sydney, Australia?

i am searching for headphones such as grado sr-60 or philips 890 or Beyer dt231 or sennheiser 495 in sydney.

its almost impossible to me to find them online(for local websites) , so if anyone got info (price & where to order) please let me know. thanks.

Jan 17, 2002 at 8:43 AM Post #2 of 30
You should go for the Koss KSC-50s over the Beyer 231s, I've got both here and the Koss are definately better.
Unless you need the isolation.

I'm trying to find a place in Perth that has the Philips so I can have a listen to them as well.
Grado - don't know.
Senny - should be easy to find in Sydney.

Jan 17, 2002 at 12:56 PM Post #3 of 30
The Philips HP890 is very easy to get.

Any electrical retailer that carries Philips stuff can order them in for you. This includes big chains like Harvey Norman, Retravision, JB HiFi, Betta Electrical, K-mart etc.

Recommended retail is A$149 but you can usually do better. I merely raised my eyebrows at the price and the salesman imediately offered them for A$120.

The Australian distributer is Crest Electronics in Brisbane: http://www.crestelec.com.au/

Don't Know about Sydney, but Grado is available in Melbourne from Audiophile.

Jan 17, 2002 at 1:22 PM Post #4 of 30
yeah, I contacted crest - all the retailers they suggested just "huh?d" at me when I mentioned them, and when I said they could order them from crest they gave me 3week etas :/
I just want to have a listen!

Jan 17, 2002 at 1:27 PM Post #5 of 30
it's bit sad living in Australia.

if i was in Korea i could actully try them before buying them..(i am from korea) becos there are hundreds of audio shops around the city. now i have to depend on the reviews from head-fi.. thanks anyway

Jan 17, 2002 at 1:58 PM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Snufkin
yeah, I contacted crest - all the retailers they suggested just "huh?d" at me when I mentioned them, and when I said they could order them from crest they gave me 3week etas :/
I just want to have a listen!

Hmmm, first place I went into - small appliance outlet in regional Victoria - just phoned Crest (actually they tried Phillips first), got the price, and took my order.
They say approx 4-5 days. We'll see.

Jan 17, 2002 at 2:52 PM Post #8 of 30
*shrug* matter of preference I guess, but the 231s sound muddier, have less bass and less clear highs...
Before I heard the ksc-50s I thought the 231s were pretty good !

Jan 17, 2002 at 3:10 PM Post #9 of 30
sydney is definitely the headphone enthusiast nightmare and if you think headphones are bad, try asking around for headphone amps! if i had a dollar of every HUH?! heard.

I haven't seen any grado's but the whole senn range and philip can be found at the duty free shop on george street called "george's duty free shop"(i think) but it doesn't look like a place you can really try it out. The thing is, at that price you are better off ordering from overseas. check out http://www.meier-audio.com/ price includes shipping!

Jan 17, 2002 at 11:46 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Tobes
I merely raised my eyebrows at the price and the salesman imediately offered them for A$120.

And then you say...

"Retravision have offered to get them in for only $110, can you match that price? "

And they will say...

"Yes"

And then you...

biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2002 at 2:36 AM Post #11 of 30
Quality Hi Fi in York St have Grados. However, they are not a trustworthy store, so count your fingers when you leave. Personally, I prefer to order from Headroom.

I recentlt saw some Philips 890s in Sydney, but I can't remember where. They're definitely available.

Ross

Jan 18, 2002 at 11:03 AM Post #12 of 30
True, Sydney is a desert for headphones, but I seem to recall I saw the Phillips in Basement Hi-Fi, and Grados can be obtained from Neutral Bay Hi-Fi, or at least they could a year ago. Good luck!

To Ross: I wonder why you say Quality Hi Fi are untrustworthy? Though I don't like the proprietor much, I've never found them anything but honest. If you've had a different experience I'd like to hear about it.
confused.gif

Jan 18, 2002 at 12:00 PM Post #13 of 30
hi I'm in Melbourne. I also can't get Grado here and BT stuff.
most of the hifi shops, if selling headphones, are mainly onto sony. a better hifi shop probably have senn stuff and akg even better.

I end up getting my grado sr-60 from headroom last year..

poor australian...why should we suffer..
mad.gif

p.s. anyone interested in grado sr-60 can contact me to discuss it as I REALLY don't like the sound of grado stuff..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back