Can anyone comment on Senn 598 vs the newer 599?
Apr 20, 2017 at 12:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
Wondering if there are any major changes in the overall sound signature as id like to pick up a paid and the former can be had for roughly half the price of the latter...

Feb 15, 2019 at 1:20 AM Post #3 of 6
I have not heard HD 599 personally. However, this is the first Pro review I've found with measurements. Rtings claims they sound different with the 599 having better bass response. The second link compares both cans' frequency response curves.

http://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/sennheiser/hd-599

http://www.rtings.com/headphones/graph#408/323/246
As an owner of a pair of SennHeiser HD599, that review is quite spot on IMHO. The sound description is so right, other reviews have said it leans on bass as well. Yes, it's sort of a bit muddy with the bass, not super clear clarity bass, my ATH-M50 by Audio Technica (closed back) have a tighter/less muddy bass, but both do a good job with enjoyable bass nonetheless, they're different. The HD599 sounds more ''natural'' to me (the bass especially), less perfect and artificial, lol.

Anyway, great headphones. Not perfect I guess but I'd rate them 4/5 or 8.5/10 roughly speaking. They only cost me 149€.

Feb 15, 2019 at 5:56 AM Post #5 of 6
I don't use an amplifier, but it's from a Desktop PC with a good motherboard with good soundboard/chip in it. But yeah that's my experience, that's how it sounds to me. BTW I've heard that the M50 and M50X have some difference in sound, not sure though. I heard the M50 (non removable cable, wire) sound better, but not sure at all.

Anyway my M50s the bass is more punchy detailed and not so boomy. However I enjoy my HD599s, like them a lot. Same goes for the M50s. But that's fine if you disagree.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #6 of 6
I have to disagree on the bass. It isnt really muddy for me. M50x is way worse. This is well amped though.
Yeah, bass isn't a strength of M50x anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back