Can anyone assist me with getting my first REAL pair of headphones?
Jan 28, 2012 at 1:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

aQuickBit

New Head-Fier
Ok so I'm putting on my big boy pants and finally going to upgrade to a real pair of headphones.  I've only had the same pair since about junior in high school which was like 5 years ago.  That great pair that has lasted me so long is none other than the Sennheiser PX100.  I love those cans but I feel its time for bigger and better things.  

My favorite music is electronic and favorite group is The Crystal Method.  I have every CD of theirs if that should give you experts an idea as to what type of music I listen to.  I also like rock and some hip/hop here and there.  Obviously I like the bass.  However I do not want to get the over-exaggerated, fake sounding bass that, do I dare say it, the Beats by Dre deliver.  I'd rather have nice, clean, punchy bass with well defined mids to highs too.  

I mostly use my laptop to listen to music when my roommates are here in the apartment because my speakers are too loud.  On the go I use my iPad.  I also use my PX100s for playing video games as well.  I feel lost playing Battlefield 3 without them (so tell me if I'm wrong but I would prolly want a pair with a good soundstage correct?).  Wouldn't mind having an amp for when I'm at my apartment but when I'm on the go to class I'd rather not lug around one.

I've researched this for a month now and cannot decide on any of them.  I wish I could actually try them out burnt in, but there isn't anywhere around my college for me to do so.  So out of these, Head-Fi community, what would you recommend?

-Sennheiser HD558 (was recommended to me by someone)
-Sennheiser HD598 (aesthetics are appealing)
-Sennheiser HD518 (for a budget I guess)
-Sennheiser PX 360 (should I just upgrade my PX line?)
-Sennheiser HD-25 Adidas Originals

-Klipsch Reference ONE 

-Audio Technica ATH-M50

-Shure SRH-750DJ
-Shure SRH840

-AKG K240-MKII

*price range for me is $100~250
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated Head_Fi community.  Thanks so much guys!

Jan 28, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #2 of 4

Go for Denon 2000s. If you are in the USA contact Electronic Expo and see if they still have open box specials. Haggle them to around $200.00 maybe a bit more and you will have amazing headphones.
Quote:
Ok so I'm putting on my big boy pants and finally going to upgrade to a real pair of headphones.  I've only had the same pair since about junior in high school which was like 5 years ago.  That great pair that has lasted me so long is none other than the Sennheiser PX100.  I love those cans but I feel its time for bigger and better things.  

My favorite music is electronic and favorite group is The Crystal Method.  I have every CD of theirs if that should give you experts an idea as to what type of music I listen to.  I also like rock and some hip/hop here and there.  Obviously I like the bass.  However I do not want to get the over-exaggerated, fake sounding bass that, do I dare say it, the Beats by Dre deliver.  I'd rather have nice, clean, punchy bass with well defined mids to highs too.  

I mostly use my laptop to listen to music when my roommates are here in the apartment because my speakers are too loud.  On the go I use my iPad.  I also use my PX100s for playing video games as well.  I feel lost playing Battlefield 3 without them (so tell me if I'm wrong but I would prolly want a pair with a good soundstage correct?).  Wouldn't mind having an amp for when I'm at my apartment but when I'm on the go to class I'd rather not lug around one.

I've researched this for a month now and cannot decide on any of them.  I wish I could actually try them out burnt in, but there isn't anywhere around my college for me to do so.  So out of these, Head-Fi community, what would you recommend?

-Sennheiser HD558 (was recommended to me by someone)
-Sennheiser HD598 (aesthetics are appealing)
-Sennheiser HD518 (for a budget I guess)
-Sennheiser PX 360 (should I just upgrade my PX line?)
-Sennheiser HD-25 Adidas Originals

-Klipsch Reference ONE 

-Audio Technica ATH-M50

-Shure SRH-750DJ
-Shure SRH840

-AKG K240-MKII

*price range for me is $100~250
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated Head_Fi community.  Thanks so much guys!

Jan 28, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #3 of 4
Go for HM5s (or FA-003s), and you won't think about upgrades for a long time. Well, you wouldn't be able to without spending many times that amount anyway.

Jan 28, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #4 of 4
I'd recommend looking into the Ultrasone HFI-580.  I think that this pair out does the HD598s in terms of electronic music hands down.  They're not quite as comfortable as the Sennheisers, but the sound signature is perfect for the genre.  Right now they are at the lower end of your price range, but usually are 150 dollars otherwise. Granted I haven't quite burned in my 580s, but initial impressions are good. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back