Can anybody confirm that these are the "best" Amperex 6922 tubes?
Jan 9, 2008 at 12:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a matched pair of what I think are considered the best (or close to it) Amperex 6922 tubes. No pics right now but I will describe them the best I can.

The tubes have gold pins, and the text on them is as follows:

USN-6922
Made in U.S.A.
Amperex

The text appears to be a very very light shade of either gold or tan (could be mistaken for white).

The top of the tube is notable in that it has these 4 "ridges" on it, if you know what tubes these are you know what I'm talking about.

Can anybody tell me what Amperex 6922 tubes these are, and a ballpark price of what a good strong pair would go for?

Jan 9, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #3 of 12
US Navy 6922. Made at the Duffy Ave Ny factory. For date codes , refer to this web site. Brendan @ Tube World prices his tubes on the high side. I have no problem with paying a little extra since his tubes are well tested and (most of all) graded for noise levels (for MC phono stages etc). I've never had a dud from him and if I did, I'm sure I could send it back with no questions asked.Tube Classics - Philips Audio Tubes

Jan 9, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #4 of 12
Thanks but that is just confusing and dosen't have the info I need.

For additional info, here is what the boxes (both same) say (in order of course):

5960-676 9016
ONE EACH ELECTRON TUBE
JAN-6922
AF 33(600) 38518
MFD BY AMPEREX
DATE PKD MAY 1961

I think the boxes might not be original because the actual tubes say USN-6922, not JAN-6922.

Can anybody help me ID these?

EDIT:
ironbut, I see your reply after I posted this. Thanks for the info, would the information on the box I supplied be able to further ID them, even though the boxes may be wrong.

Jan 9, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #6 of 12
Isnt that the fact that the most, if not all of them, best tubes been made in EU like Holland, UK and Germany, especially Amperex Holland made
confused.gif

Jan 9, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #8 of 12
Fair enough
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some US made Amperex are very good, especially before Aperex were bought by Philips
wink.gif

Jan 9, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Some US made Amperex are very good, especially before Aperex were bought by Philips
wink.gif

These tubes are both from may of 1961. Were they bought out by that time?

Nobody can really ID these? I don't want to take a picture because I would have to shut off my DAC and crack it open, etc...

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

wink.gif

I believe philips bought amperex in 1955 and the first commercial 6922 was born in 1956 in holand. The amperex US plant (factory) was started around 1960.

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isnt that the fact that the most, if not all of them, best tubes been made in EU like Holland, UK and Germany, especially Amperex Holland made
confused.gif

One of the most magical audio tubes was born in US, the WE300A and WE300B. You would never forget the sound. Gold Lion is a brand, I think it's the only brand, which can compete with WE reagrding to the sound and the quality. Most of the Gold Lion tubes was made in UK and marketed in the US. Telefunken which is also very famous, IMO, is one step lower than both of them. Philips was the biggest tube manufacturer. It was the owner of Mullard and Amperex. Many Philips tubes are much better than Telefunken's people just don't realise.

Sep 26, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #12 of 12
Does anyone know how do the Amperex made in the '70s in Holland sound compared to other popular Amperex Holland made in the sixties (and even fifties), such as the Orange Globe disc getters or the usual Bugle Boys ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back