can any one recommand a protable amp for AKG K240 MK II ?
Dec 26, 2010 at 10:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

silly wabbit

New Head-Fier
hi, I'm new to head fi. i apologize in advance for asking so many questions before i make any contributions to the forum and thank every one for their time.

i have been into HIFI stereos for a while but is just now getting back into portable music due to being away from home (and my beloved stereo + CD collection) for extensive traveling and living abroad.

years ago i used a minidisk recoreder /player and owend an top of the line diskman that could output to the MD via optical cable for ripping CDs. using an SONY MDR V 500 Dj head phones.

i recently bought an AKG k 240 Mk II ( 55 ohm ) and I'm using a I POD nano 6th GEN playing apple loss-less.

i choosed the AKG for the way it feels on my head, the natural sound and what i felt was a great value, also for the removable cable. i was not willing to spend more cuz these phones go with me where ever i go and is subject to frequent / heavy use in "street" conditions. I'm not willing to use uncomfortable or heavy phones and ear buds are out of the question.

i listen to all kinds of music except for Rap and Country if that helps with amp selection.

it was immediately apparent that any portable device and even some home units are incapable of driving these phones properly and that the stock cable was sub par and too long.

the very same day i purchased an AUDIO_TECHNICA portable amp AT PHA 10 to tie me over until i find a more suitable amp. i also purchased some decent wires and connectors and made a cable to better suite my needs.

the audio techinca was compact and simple but suffered from serious lack of power and poor bass / highs.

I'm looking to get a new portable amp ( and maybe with DAC ) around 200 US and no larger then a pack of cigs that can drive the AKGs to their full potential and maybe accommodate future upgrades of higher impedance phones along with a better source. it would also be useful if they provided enough power to drive two 55 ohm phones. it would be preferable if it is capable of running on standered batteries AAA 9v etc.

i have done some searching and the following seems to be good choices but i have not heard any of them and could use some help, I'm open to any suggestions.

i basso D4
practical devices XM 4
leckerton UHA 6

the emmeline stuff like p-51 tomawawk and shadow ($$$) looks very cool / well built and compact. i would consider it if it sounds as good as it looks and has sufficient power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back