Can an Open Headphone be better than say....UE10 Pro and Why or Why Not?
Aug 12, 2007 at 7:08 AM Post #46 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by OvidiuDanut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just spoke yesterday with a Full MD, a friend of mine, and he told me that using IEM's is the surest way to go deff. He explained me that no matter how low volume you use , the result is the same because the sonic wave just pushes 100% on the drum membrane. On the other hand listening in open headphones is another thing all together because the air dissipates mostly outwards, like in speakers almost.
So if till now i was thinking a bit for going with a hi end portable rig (triple fi or maybe higher), now i changed my mind completely.

Well, not to be rude, but your MD pal is FOS.

The vibrations (read energy) that hit the eardrum are equal for equal volumes regardless of source. That's all.

Most MDs I know are poorly educated when it comes to basic science, so I would take most of what they say outside their field with a grain of salt.

Aug 12, 2007 at 7:09 AM Post #47 of 50
well in an ideal world it'd be fatastic to have both the UE-10's (or 11's as is the new flagship model) as well as some great open headphones for easy listening, but not everyone has that kind of money. it's probably best to get an open headphone for quality listening, and look at getting something good portable later on. start with a good headphone then go portable in my oppinion!

Aug 12, 2007 at 7:28 AM Post #48 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If your budget is 1000, you wont find anything better than the UE10s.

Absolute nonsense, the UE10 isn't even made by AKG.

Aug 12, 2007 at 8:35 AM Post #49 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok then I think it would be a mistake going with the HD650.

And yet somehow I don't want to recommend Grados. Your budget was $1000 right?

I don't think this was ever covered, what will your source be?

I will be running out of an IMOD and a Hornet. My idea is to have it transportably around the house where I'm not obligated to be in one part of the house to listen to my music. And yes my budget is $1000. Honestly I want to hear spectacular guitar riffs and very nice vocals like in "More than a feeling" by Boston. But for bass I want it to be present so it can give the song presence but I don't want it over powering the whole spectrum. Also in what way are the GS1000 not suited for rock

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rise To The Top /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^It varies from song to song on how the HD650s perform, esp with source. I wouldnt say it would be a mistake. OP, I would try a pair of RS1s and HD650s from HeadRoom, and return one at the end of the month.

If your buget for headphone only is $1000, grab a GS1000 and HD650, and see what you like.

I bet with the warmth of the 650 "Riot Van" by Artic Monkeys sounds incredibly relaxing. You've said that the hornet does not give the 650s justice so what home amp would give it its potential if you say that you enjoy the 650s for Rock. Taking into consideration that I listen to such bands as: Boston, Clash, Artic Monkeys, White Stripes, Wolfmother, Queen, Kinks, Beastie Boys, and Pixes.

Thanks again,

Izzy

Aug 12, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #50 of 50
Once again, Hornet does HD650 justice. I did a lot of listening comparing hornet with so called high end amps that have good synergy with HD650 and you wont be disappointed. Some peoples expectations here are set way too high. So you get things such as "oh hornet wont do them justice, nonsense thrown around"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back