Can an Open Headphone be better than say....UE10 Pro and Why or Why Not?
Aug 10, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #31 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rise To The Top /img/forum/go_quote.gif

OP, save for something really good, or get a good headphone now and build a good system around it. From your other thread, the Hornet wont do the HD650s justice, nor will any portible amp. Home amps of equal values will always be better quality wise.

Thank you this is the answer I was looking for, Out of common sense I was doubting that the hornet being as good as it is will be able to give the 650s justice on thier potential.

Are there any amps you recomend that would be very fitting for the 650's

Thanks,

Izzy

Aug 10, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #32 of 50
What kind of music will you be listening to? The HD650 can be a very good headphone in the right setup but there are many genres which it is not suited to at all (imo).

Aug 10, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #33 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Millheim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UE11?

I'd be shocked if the UE11 suited my needs the way the UE10 does. I just had the option of waiting 2 months to get the UE11 but I sprung for the UE10s because they are just a more neutral headphone. I don't like full bodied sound. I listen mostly to classical and I find that neutrality works best with classical. UE10s are still the best I think. If you call up ultimate Ears and talk to them, they still have faith that the UE10 is the best for certain things. They convinced me to go with the UE10 over the 11!

I would even go as far as to say that the UE11 may have been Ultimate Ears way of competing with for attention with the fans of the bassier and muddier E530s. They initially started off as 5 driver canal phones and were as I've been told simply too bassy. Now its tamed to 4 drivers, but if you look at the hump on the frequency graph, it seems that the bass is increased as if you have the bass boost on. This may appeal to bass fans, but I happen to think the UE10s have the most desirable bass response of any headphone.

Aug 10, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #34 of 50
Have you heard any of the upper end headphones such as the R10, K1000, HP1000, HE90, O2, H2, L3000, PS-1, Qualia, etc...?

Aug 10, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #35 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by OvidiuDanut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just spoke yesterday with a Full MD, a friend of mine, and he told me that using IEM's is the surest way to go deff. He explained me that no matter how low volume you use , the result is the same because the sonic wave just pushes 100% on the drum membrane. On the other hand listening in open headphones is another thing all together because the air dissipates mostly outwards, like in speakers almost.
So if till now i was thinking a bit for going with a hi end portable rig (triple fi or maybe higher), now i changed my mind completely.

Not to sound like a ******.... but if he's just a "Full MD"...he wouldn't know anything about hearing loss because that's an audiologist's department - unless he's an "audiologist with a Full MD", because that'd make a bit more sense. IEMs are MUCH safer on your ears than anything else....your ears were MADE to handle pulsating waves, so don't think too much into it.

Aug 10, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #37 of 50
Personally, I think the UE10 is probably the best sounding headphone out there, but since its an IEM it lacks soundstage and also other qualities aswell that full sized headphones have to offer which in my opinion probably makes them more engaging and more fun to listen too. With big headphones ,I think that they make you feel more apart of the music. But from a pure sound quality perspective, I think the UE10 is probably the best headphone in the world, And because of their amazing neutrality, I think audiophiles will probably still prefer them over the UE11.

Aug 11, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #38 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigizzy75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey 003,

I listen mostly to Classic Rock and Rock.

Ok then I think it would be a mistake going with the HD650.

And yet somehow I don't want to recommend Grados. Your budget was $1000 right?

I don't think this was ever covered, what will your source be?

Aug 11, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #39 of 50
^It varies from song to song on how the HD650s perform, esp with source. I wouldnt say it would be a mistake. OP, I would try a pair of RS1s and HD650s from HeadRoom, and return one at the end of the month.

If your buget for headphone only is $1000, grab a GS1000 and HD650, and see what you like.

Aug 12, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #41 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the simple fact that none of the current IEM's can reproduce the full 20Hz-20kHz frequency response of an audio CD. The UE-10 for one roll off at 16kHz...

This is indeed true, however some of the very best professional music microphones ever produced also exhibit a similar roll off. Look at the classic Neumann mikes for example. To many engineers they still capture the essence of a live performance better than anything, but they don't have the 20-20 frequency response.

Aug 12, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #42 of 50
Most people can't hear past 18 KHz and it is my belief and I'm gonna take a lot of heat for saying this...........that even 16Khz is a bit high on the spectrum to really greatly impact the Sound Quality of a great headphone. According to my audiologist I hear up to 24 Khz, but when I'm listening to music I don't think my brain acknowledges anything above 16K

Aug 12, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #43 of 50
Well I agree with that, but I also wish I had your hearing. Perhaps you are a young person, unlike me
280smile.gif
My hearing rolls off at 14 Khz, but then again I'm a grumpy old man
rs1smile.gif
Works fine up to 14Khz though.

Anyway, depending on the quality of the engineering, I've seen CDs that roll off after about 10Khz, but analysis of one of my "audiophile" quality redbook CDs shows that every last bit of available spectrum is used. Here is a screenshot of spectral analysis I did on one of my Telarc Redbook CDs. It is the track The Love for Three Oranges from the Russian Nights CD. As you can see, it goes right up to the 22.05 Khz Redbook limit, however the frequencies at that point are quite attenuated (but still there). Nevertheless, this example probably replicates quite well what the frequency balance might have been live. An analysis of the SACD version would have been interesting, but not possible for a consumer to do.

loveofthreeorangestelarsw1.jpg

Aug 12, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #44 of 50
Hornet drives HD650 beautifully and you might like the portability bit whenever you are on the go with your portable setup. If you want something substantially(meaning, not very noticeable anyway) better, your 1k wont be enough.

My advice is to get Hornet HD650 and cables. I assume you have a decent source.

Aug 12, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #45 of 50
I think the UE-10 offers pretty incredible sound quality and neutrality, but it is an IEM. It does not produce music the same way a full size headphone is able to. I prefer to listen to full size headphones at home, but am thankful to have the UE-10s for portable use. I would definitely love to own a full size headphone that is as neutral as the UE-10 while offering a high level of sound quality, but I currently can't afford one because IMO that level of headphone is in the $1000+ range. I enjoy listening to full size headphones such as the HD650 and RS1 and am always surprised when I switch back to the UE-10s to how good they sound. I guess it just depends on what kind of presentation you prefer. While the UE-10 is at the top, except for the UE-11, of sound quality for IEMs, they still can not offer everything a full size can does, most notably sound stage, even though it may do many things better such as neutrality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back