Can an Open Headphone be better than say....UE10 Pro and Why or Why Not?
Aug 7, 2007 at 5:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

bigizzy75

100+ Head-Fier
A fellow head-fier told me that the most important factor of my rig must be the things that go on my ears. Right now I have some Vibes and I have tried E-500's and I liked them because they were the first High Quality IEM that I tried (Apple Store). Anywho I would really like to invest into something worth while and I can purchase HD 650 but I curious about getting customs like the UE10 Pro. I know that with the IEM's I can be portable which is great but I rather use either headphone for relaxful listening because when I'm on the go I'm to busy thinking about 20 things at once that I'm not paying attention in an analytical sense (Think of it as Picture In Picture, or Alt+Tab for you computer geeks
tongue.gif
). So what would be a better investment?

Thanks in Advance,

Izzy

Aug 7, 2007 at 7:53 AM Post #2 of 50
Depends what you mean with "Best". A clear Yes if we talk about sound quality only.
For the simple fact that none of the current IEM's can reproduce the full 20Hz-20kHz frequency response of an audio CD. The UE-10 for one roll off at 16kHz...

Aug 7, 2007 at 8:20 AM Post #3 of 50
To answer the thread title: There are many headphones that are better than the UE10. The HE90, O2, HD650, K701, etc all outperform the UE10 for quality. A better investment would be to get a good pair of full sized headphones and build around them. Portable systems shouldnt get too complicated because, like you said, people are not too analytical while on the go. Get a good headphone, then amp/source, and so on. If you liked the E500, then you should get them. The HD650 seems to be the E500s counterpart in fullsized. I am assuming that if you have the money to blow on customs from your post, so I would say, grab both, the E500 and HD650. You wont be dissapointed with either.

Aug 7, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #4 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends what you mean with "Best". A clear Yes if we talk about sound quality only.
For the simple fact that none of the current IEM's can reproduce the full 20Hz-20kHz frequency response of an audio CD. The UE-10 for one roll off at 16kHz...

Ok that makes sense, but what would be disadvanteges of getting a open Headphone. Does that mean that outside noise will be heard?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rise To The Top /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To answer the thread title: There are many headphones that are better than the UE10. The HE90, O2, HD650, K701, etc all outperform the UE10 for quality. A better investment would be to get a good pair of full sized headphones and build around them. Portable systems shouldnt get too complicated because, like you said, people are not too analytical while on the go. Get a good headphone, then amp/source, and so on. If you liked the E500, then you should get them. The HD650 seems to be the E500s counterpart in fullsized. I am assuming that if you have the money to blow on customs from your post, so I would say, grab both, the E500 and HD650. You wont be dissapointed with either.

What Amp would you recomend to get for the HD650 and are there any additional purchases that I should consider for the HD650

Thanks again

Izzy

Aug 7, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #6 of 50
Well currently I have like a grand and change which was towards my future rig. But then I realized that I don't want to use my portable for outside (Maybe in long trips and plane rides) but just for around the house. Hence the Headphone/IEM debate.

I listen to rock mostly like: Queen, Wolfmother, Artic Monkeys, Boston, and Some Beastie Boys every now and then

Aug 7, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #9 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigizzy75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well currently I have like a grand and change which was towards my future rig. But then I realized that I don't want to use my portable for outside (Maybe in long trips and plane rides) but just for around the house. Hence the Headphone/IEM debate.

I listen to rock mostly like: Queen, Wolfmother, Artic Monkeys, Boston, and Some Beastie Boys every now and then

Get headphones. Save for the HP1000, PS-1 or L3000. The RS-1 and RS-2 are not worth it and are not great headphones IMO. If you need something to tide you over while you save, get an MS-1 or something. Key here is not something expensive. Just to tide you over until you have more money saved.

The only current high end headphone from grado that is worth it IMO is the GS1000 which is not really suited for rock.

Keep in mind these are my opinions. People can and will disagree with me and likely even flame me. But just keep this in mind: Every headphone I mentioned here, I have heard side by side with my own ears. Take this as you will.

Aug 8, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #10 of 50
Am I the only one that thinks that a speaker that rests on - or better, off - the ear produces a more satisfying sound because it's how we were designed to hear? The individually unique pinnae in our ears, if ya think about, may offer each of us our own "sound signature" in how the sound is shaped on its way to the eardrum. Certainly they serve a purpose, giving us cues as to the direction of a sound's origin, amplifying frequencies in the range of the human voice, creating phase cancellation, etc. Shoving a mini-speaker directly into the ear canal bypasses this natural way of hearing.

For me, I swear it makes a big difference. I'd been listening contentedly enough to my e500's for several months, but then auditioned the Grado SR125's one day for use in my office, where I need to be able to hear the phone ring or people call my name, etc. The 125s were the highest-end can I'd tried at that point, and *immediately* I was so blown away that I was ruined for the e500's. And we're talkin' a $125 set of cans vs. a $500 hi-tek gizmo.

Aug 8, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #11 of 50
I agree. Somehow, a direct music feed to the brain, no matter how clear and detailed and even if driven by 10 armature drivers, loses SOMETHING since thats not how music is supposed to be heard. I believe I read somewhere in this forum that the passage of the sound through the lobes, outer ear, etc. add something to the experience of music and how its supposed to be heard.

But then again, i havent heard UE 11 and other ultra high end iems (only auditioned upto the e500), but from what i have experienced, id take full sized circumaural cans any day (portability being a non-issue here)

Aug 8, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #12 of 50
The nice thing about custom IEMs like the UE10s is that they don't really need separate amplification to sound really good. Whereas, if you want great sound out of your headphones, you almost always need a good amp.

Having said that, I would definitely spend the money on a good set of cans and amp. I got my HD600s used for $200 Canadian, and my WooAudio6 was just under $600, and it's a killer rig! This assumes, of course, that you already have a half decent source.

Aug 8, 2007 at 6:59 AM Post #13 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Torula Yeast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am I the only one that thinks that a speaker that rests on - or better, off - the ear produces a more satisfying sound because it's how we were designed to hear? The individually unique pinnae in our ears, if ya think about, may offer each of us our own "sound signature" in how the sound is shaped on its way to the eardrum. Certainly they serve a purpose, giving us cues as to the direction of a sound's origin, amplifying frequencies in the range of the human voice, creating phase cancellation, etc. Shoving a mini-speaker directly into the ear canal bypasses this natural way of hearing.

For me, I swear it makes a big difference. I'd been listening contentedly enough to my e500's for several months, but then auditioned the Grado SR125's one day for use in my office, where I need to be able to hear the phone ring or people call my name, etc. The 125s were the highest-end can I'd tried at that point, and *immediately* I was so blown away that I was ruined for the e500's. And we're talkin' a $125 set of cans vs. a $500 hi-tek gizmo.

I agree, but it's the opposite way for me. For me IEMs/earbuds actually improve the sound quality - even the soundstage! I'm definitely in the minority here, but that could be because I have slightly larger ears than most. If IEMs/earbuds could reproduce bass as powerfully as full sized cans can, I'd be on them like a fly on...well, I'd buy them instead of headphones. The sound through IEM and earbuds seems clearer, purer, and the soundstage more airy, and to me quite large.

I have el-cheapo 6 year old $30 Sony MDR-E821 earbuds and sometimes I really prefer them to the GS1000. They're very bright and have almost no bass, but...I don't know. I really can't put my finger on exactly what it is - I'm planning on buying a better IEM soon to see if it's just a fluke with this particular earbud synergising well with my ears, or if IEMs overall have some magical charm.

Aug 8, 2007 at 7:14 AM Post #14 of 50
Quote;Am I the only one that thinks that a speaker that rests on - or better, off - the ear produces a more satisfying sound because it's how we were designed to hear?

NO,This explains why I am spending more time listening with Sony MDR-F1 than with my Darths.Plus cool ears.

Aug 8, 2007 at 7:38 AM Post #15 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get headphones. Save for the HP1000, PS-1 or L3000. The RS-1 and RS-2 are not worth it and are not great headphones IMO. If you need something to tide you over while you save, get an MS-1 or something. Key here is not something expensive. Just to tide you over until you have more money saved.

The only current high end headphone from grado that is worth it IMO is the GS1000 which is not really suited for rock.

Keep in mind these are my opinions. People can and will disagree with me and likely even flame me. But just keep this in mind: Every headphone I mentioned here, I have heard side by side with my own ears. Take this as you will.

I agree with 003. I would save for the HP1000, PS-1 or L3000. I do like the RS1s, but as seen and mentioned in countless thread, the RS1s pale in comparison to the HP-2. With that being said, I just got the GS1000s and they are the best sounding cans I have IMHO. Keep in mind that this is my opinion, with my ears. Also, I'm a Grado guy as well. With that being said, from all the Grado's I've heard, I do like the GS1000s right now.

On a separate note, thanks for the heads up 003 in your PM. Good luck to you
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back