Can an iPod be a decent source?
Feb 11, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By that time the Wadia digital iPod dock should be available to order at $349. Then you get the best of both worlds without sacrificing your portability on the go and your fidelity while at home.
wink.gif
You can hook the Wadia's analog outs directly to an amp if you wish to use the iPod's DAC section as a source -- or you can get bit-perfect digital out from your iPod by hooking up a digital interconnect to the Wadia and then to an external DAC (if you are going to get one in the future when your budget may allow).

That would be very cool. At the moment you have Denon or Arcam docks but these are only analogue out and are therefore limited by the ipods onboard DAC.

This is fine for casual headphone listening but a bit rolled off and one dimensional compared to an equivalently priced full sized CD player I feel.

Pro-Ject also make some nice little amps about the same sized as an ipod dock if you want to run speakers for a bedroom system or else you could get some really nice compact active Genelec's for about the same price.

Feb 11, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #17 of 22
I agree with hciman77. The iPod is a respectable DAP as long as your "source files" are of good quality. I use lossless and it's audiounderful.
smily_headphones1.gif

Make You iPod An Audiophile's Dream

Feb 12, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When Stereophile reviewed the iPod John Atkinson remarked that its technical performance was as good as many high end CD players, it had low jitter and low distortion and had a pretty flat FR, what more do you need ?

notrolledoff.jpg

I guess we should specify which Ipod as they are not all created equal. I'm still using a 3G model which was recently reviewed in vertical testing by Hi-Fi World magazine as one of the better ones. They in fact concluded that the earlier ones are better sounding than the newer ones on the whole as the output stages are getting weedier as they shrink in size (although there are exceptions).

I'm very happy with my ipods performance as a portable and using the Apple dock on occasion for casual usage but I don't think it compares all that well when directly a/b'd even against a fairly modest full sized CD player. It's certainly nowhere near as good as my vintage Sony PCDPs or WM-D6C Pro cassette walkman for that matter.

The main reasons for this in my view are the output stage, mini-jack output and charging cycles which can't be defeated which Arcam have addressed with their dock.
If Wadia have managed to get a digital output from it and bypass the onboard DAC altogether, something which until now as I understand it Apple have been quite cagey about, then it will almost certainly be an improvment.

Feb 12, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #19 of 22
Yes, I do plan on using my iMod and vCap as my main source until after I get a nice amp. Then I'll get a nice DAC eventually.

Its nothing to complain about honestly, but I don't think the classic has nearly as much to offer in the future. It DOES NOT have the same DAC as most home cd players. You are thinking of the 5th gen. This is the reason it is not being iModded. Lossless is great advice, but since you can also not rockbox it, you will have to go with apple lossless (ALAC).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back