Can an IEM match full sized headphones overall?
Mar 8, 2007 at 9:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

commando

Headphoneus Supremus
I've recently purchased some Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 pro dual driver IEMs, and I find myself mostly disappointed. The clarity's great, the comfort is great, the portability's great, but the bass just leaves me wanting more. There's plenty of high bass and some mid bass, but low bass seems almost entirely absent, and the bass overall is weak. I've experimented with every set of tips, foam, single flange in 3 sizes, and double flange, both dry and moistened, and a few different sources. I've decided to return them, i'll probably return to my Creative EP630s for travel, Senn 280s for home, and i'll take my A900s to work to replace the UEs.

This makes me wonder, can an IEM match the bass that a full sized headphone produces? With such a tiny driver is it possible to produce deep, rich bass? I know headphones, being much smaller than speakers, can't match good, large speakers. I know the IEM wins in detail.

What do y'all think?

Mar 8, 2007 at 9:57 AM Post #2 of 54
thats the exact same reason I cant do serious listening with IEM headphones. They are super conveinient but even when they are amplified they fall short of the good full sized headphones. I can never find myself using IEMs as my primary listening choice, but they do me well for my portable rig, great comfort, block out noise and attractive and discrete, there are tradeoffs....

Mar 8, 2007 at 11:12 AM Post #3 of 54
Mar 8, 2007 at 12:41 PM Post #6 of 54
If you are let down by the bass of the SF.5 pro, then you are most likely not getting a real seal. They do not lack impact or low end in any way.

When you get a good seal, you will feel a bit of pressure on your eardrum. You will need to be careful taking them out for that reason.

Try all the sizes - every one of them and the foam. Try some of the techniques listed here and other places as to how to insert (use other hand to pull on top of ear to better open the canal, use the rock and roll method that UE talks about, etc).

The FS mod might help you get a better seal, but to be honest you should be able to get it either way, at least for a short time. Some (me) had troubles with the SF.5 not keeping a good seal, and the FS helps.

Mar 8, 2007 at 12:48 PM Post #7 of 54
Get Earsoft foamies
wink.gif

Mar 8, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #8 of 54
the bass on the sensaphonic 2X-S is absolutely incredible.

some of the best bass i have ever heard anywhere.

the 2X-S is some of the best sound i've ever heard, period.

Mar 8, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #9 of 54
My e500s with the new black foamies have done wonders in the bass department. Overall they may be better the my 701's due to the great sound and easy portability.

Mar 8, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #10 of 54
Quote:

and the bass overall is weak.

That's insane, because the super.fi 5 pro is one of the bassiest IEMs there is. It is much bassier that most full-size headphones.

Mar 8, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #11 of 54
If you like ep-630 bass, maybe you could try the super.fi 5eb. They're are like the ultimate basshead IEMs.

I tried them out with un-amped, but found them a tad muddy for my taste, then I tried them with the portaphile V2 Maxxed, and everything cleared up with the bass becoming tighter and more pronouced without losing the "punch".

But I do feel that IEMs can never be compared to headphones. The experience is totally different. Though I do crave my Super.fi 5 pro's intimacy from time to time, my k501s get more exercise at home.

Mar 8, 2007 at 3:35 PM Post #12 of 54
bass-wise, yes... and you don't have to spend a lot to get it. The FX33 is my bassiest phone, it extends deep and has good punch. It is on par with my RS1 with PPA bass boost. Of course it cant touch the RS1's clarity/quality and sense of "air", but as far as quantity, its all there.

Mar 8, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #13 of 54
Depends on the application.

Whenever I reference my music... I only use ER4's. Whenever I'm buying or trying out new sound equipment (eg kW SACD) I use the ER4S as the reference.
When you reference, you want total accuracy in the music. The ER4 does that for me.

However, 101 reasons why headphones are better at home.

Mar 8, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #14 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bass-wise, yes... and you don't have to spend a lot to get it. The FX33 is my bassiest phone, it extends deep and has good punch. It is on par with my RS1 with PPA bass boost. Of course it cant touch the RS1's clarity/quality and sense of "air", but as far as quantity, its all there.

x2 for the marshmallows

Mar 8, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #15 of 54
How deep is this "deep bass" you're talking about? 32' organ pipe deep (ie 16Hz)? Deep bass is more felt than heard. The tiny transducers in IEMs don't displace enough air and to be honest, neither can any headphone driver. Although, headphone drivers have a larger diaphragm surface area and do a much better job at reproducing deep bass albeit imperfectly. To reproduce 16Hz, you'd need a massive listening room along with some properly big speakers and some powerful amps. IEMs are capable of glorious, rich mid-bass though (~100-250Hz).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back