Can an Apple inline control work with Android?
May 29, 2013 at 11:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

thatBeatsguy

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello,
   I ain't sure whether this is the right thread to put it, but I've been wondering if the inline controls that work for Apple devices could work for Android. I'm in the market for some IEMs that I would recommend to my mother, because she's looking for one atm. If the Apple inline controls would work on Android, it would really help me in my search.
   Thanks!

May 29, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
iirc most apple inline doesn't work with android  since they use a different plug

Wait...they do? AFAIK, both Apple and Android use the universal 3.5mm jack, and the only plug differences is the 32-pin and the Lightning connector for Apple, and the mini USB for, well, nearly everything else. So in all fairness, there must be something that I don't see here besides the OS incompatibility.
   Oh, and one more thing: I'm not asking about the microphone, because taking and receiving calls aren't needed; all I need to know is whether the volume controls work.

May 29, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #4 of 11
Wait now I'm confused as to what you are looking for.  There are a LOT of IEMs out there now that have inline controls for volume, fast forward, rewind, and pause.  So are you looking for IEMs that have those controls or ........  For example, I just got a set of IEMs off of Groupon for $10 that have all the inline controls and a microphone for taking calls.  I use them at work since I share an office and need to hear what's going on around  me but still want my music playing.  They also help allow me to answer my phone and tell them to hold a second while I go outside.

May 29, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
Wait now I'm confused as to what you are looking for.  There are a LOT of IEMs out there now that have inline controls for volume, fast forward, rewind, and pause.  So are you looking for IEMs that have those controls or ........  For example, I just got a set of IEMs off of Groupon for $10 that have all the inline controls and a microphone for taking calls.  I use them at work since I share an office and need to hear what's going on around  me but still want my music playing.  They also help allow me to answer my phone and tell them to hold a second while I go outside.

Okay, so my previous post was bordering on weird, sorry. What I meant was that I wasn't concerned whether or not the microphone would work. I asked whether or not the inline controls that were designed for Apple products would work on an Android device, because a majority of IEMs with inline controls are designed for Apple...none for Android.
   A microphone designed for non-Apple products that could take and answer calls is a plus, but I'm more concerned about the volume up/down, etc.
   So, what phone do you use? Because if you use an Android phone, the inline controls might work, or maybe it's the headphones.

May 29, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #6 of 11
I don't have the headphones with me today of all days BUT I am pretty sure they were marketed to work with iPhone and Android devices.  I have an iPhone so I can't attest to first hand knowledge that they do in fact work with Android phones.  Until I get home to see the package, I can't give you a 100% for sure answer about that.  I will check tonite and also give you the make/model of the headphones.  But I agree with your logic that the plug is/should be universal and hence work on both, unless there is some programming that blocks the plug signal.  I could totally see where the phone programming could render signals to and from the plug as useless just like Microsoft will only let products made by them to work with their tablet.

More tomorrow I guess.

May 30, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #8 of 11
May 30, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #9 of 11
May 31, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
Thanks for the replies so far!

I've just tested an iDevice cable (from Sony MDR-1Rs) with an Android 'phone (Galaxy S3) and the answer is, kind-of. It manages to play/pause, but nothing else. This was marketed as only compatible with iDevices though, so YMMV.

May 31, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

I've just tested an iDevice cable (from Sony MDR-1Rs) with an Android 'phone (Galaxy S3) and the answer is, kind-of. It manages to play/pause, but nothing else. This was marketed as only compatible with iDevices though, so YMMV.

Ah, okay.
Your results are probably the most accurate and concise in this entire thread and/or forum. Thanks a bunch for your info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back