Can an amp blow my headphones?
Jan 10, 2014 at 6:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

thisissomebs

100+ Head-Fier
I have a Schiit Modi and a Magni plugged in through my laptop to my Audio Technica ATH-M50's.

I've had the sound cut out a few times but I think this isn't a big deal right? Is it possible to turn up the Magni too much and overload my headphones?

Jan 10, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #2 of 22
It's possible if you use your AT's as speakers.

Jan 10, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #4 of 22
I use both my pairs of german maestros as speakers sometimes.

Jan 10, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #5 of 22
I mean cranking up the volume while having the headphones laying in front of you

Jan 10, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #7 of 22
If you use the headphone as speakers, headphones lying in front of you, you'd have to turn them up very loud to hear sounds/music clearly. In worst case that can damage the amp and headphones.

Jan 10, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #8 of 22
I have an idea. Buy some $20 computer speakers. Oh I have a better idea! Use some free energy pick them up and place it on your head listen like normal people!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Jan 10, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #10 of 22
^Wow, that was useful advice..

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #12 of 22

Isn't it easier for amps to run at max power rather than at 25%-50%?

Wth are you talking about? No, I suppose it would be a pretty bad idea to turn the volume to max on many amps, as clipping and what's worse might occur, leading to possible headphone and amp damage. Isn't that common sense?

Jan 10, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #13 of 22
  Wth are you talking about? No, I suppose it would be a pretty bad idea to turn the volume to max on many amps, as clipping and what's worse might occur, leading to possible headphone and amp damage. Isn't that common sense?

I remember reading something about that on schiit's site about there not being as much heat generated when it's running at 100%.  Obviously it's going to be way too loud but I'm strictly talking about the amp, yeah it's common sense that running your cans at like 900000000000db is bad.

Jan 10, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #14 of 22
What does heat generated by the amp have to do with damaging headphones? 

Anyway, turning the volume up to max can potentially damage your headphones. It's harder to do than you might think though. I plugged some Apple earbuds into my speaker amp (max power into the earbuds = 13 Watts), and they didn't blow until somewhere north of 75% on the volume knob. Considering that M50s are beefier than Apple earbuds and that the Magni has about 1.2 Watts, I'd be surprised if the Magni could blow them. But I wouldn't try to find out.

Jan 10, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #15 of 22
  What does heat generated by the amp have to do with damaging headphones? 

Anyway, turning the volume up to max can potentially damage your headphones. It's harder to do than you might think though. I plugged some Apple earbuds into my speaker amp (max power into the earbuds = 13 Watts), and they didn't blow until somewhere north of 75% on the volume knob. Considering that M50s are beefier than Apple earbuds and that the Magni has about 1.2 Watts, I'd be surprised if the Magni could blow them. But I wouldn't try to find out.

I'll say again I'm not talking about damaging the drivers I'm strictly talking about stressing the amp re-read last post:
"I'm strictly talking about the amp"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back